Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Add a little formula?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
  • 56 Replies
So we're still in the hospital from DJ being born . He's breast feed great! I didn't think I'd like it at all but I really enjoy it now & I want to wait on the bottle and using a pump. He has jaundice , and his levels are a little high . The doctor came in and told me I should give him some formula so he'll poop more and It will help his jaundice. I'm worried if I give him formula he will not breast feed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:32 AM

This is an odd thing for a doctor to say, since breastfed infants are less inclined to have jaundice in the first place.  Also, formular fed babies are prone to constipation or at best harder stools, so it seems like it would aggravate the situation.  Nurse him lots and lots, as much as he wants, but if it were me I would pass on any formula at such a young age.

Generally I listen to doctors, but it's also great to be able to rely on your instincts.

try4baby20
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
U can always ask about SNS
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Right and he's feeding so good . Then I told the dr I wasn't sure about giving him formula and she said they'd put in a little dropper not a bottle . I'm debating it, I want what's best for baby but he is doing so good.

Quoting GraceStrickland:

This is an odd thing for a doctor to say, since breastfed infants are less inclined to have jaundice in the first place.  Also, formular fed babies are prone to constipation or at best harder stools, so it seems like it would aggravate the situation.  Nurse him lots and lots, as much as he wants, but if it were me I would pass on any formula at such a young age.

Generally I listen to doctors, but it's also great to be able to rely on your instincts.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
2 moms liked this

No need to give him formula!!! Dr is WRONG. Breastfeeding will make him poop more than formula. Just wake  him up often & don't allow him to go more than 2 hrs without bfing. Formula actually constipates & makes them poop less. Tell the dr no, you CAN do that. He can suggest all he wants but you don't have to do it. What ARE his bili levels? More often than not drs  act like they are horrible when they are actually nothing to freak out over.

BabyFruit Ticker

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
What's that ?

Quoting try4baby20:

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I think she said it was 9.5 - and he is eating so good. He's eating often and usually at least 15 mins on each side.

Quoting mamabens:

No need to give him formula!!! Dr is WRONG. Breastfeeding will make him poop more than formula. Just wake  him up often & don't allow him to go more than 2 hrs without bfing. Formula actually constipates & makes them poop less. Tell the dr no, you CAN do that. He can suggest all he wants but you don't have to do it. What ARE his bili levels? More often than not drs  act like they are horrible when they are actually nothing to freak out over.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Supplimental nursing system, it's basically a tube taped to your breast so he gets the formula but still is suckign telling your body to make millk. It's not needed in this situation though, just nurse nurse nurse. Breastmilk is a natural laxitive so he WILL poop more, the more you nurse. Is your milk in yet?

Quoting juniebug11:

What's that ?

Quoting try4baby20:

BabyFruit Ticker

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:39 AM

I just breastfed my preemie and her levels were 11.  She's almost three weeks old now and all cleared up.  I wouldn't use formula for that level.

Quoting juniebug11:

I think she said it was 9.5 - and he is eating so good. He's eating often and usually at least 15 mins on each side.

Quoting mamabens:

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Oh goodness, that's not high. There have been babies on ehre with levels MUCH higher than that sent home with a bili blanket & never given formula. Don't time him on the breast, let him nurse on breast 1 until he falls off then offer breast 2 until he falls off.

Quoting juniebug11:

Quoting mamabens:

BabyFruit Ticker

ALXtheg8
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
No, considering formula opens the virgin gut, can cause constipation. He will be fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)