Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

need opinions on pumps

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 12 Replies

So, the medical supplier has 

the symphony (dual) pump

the lactina pump (never heard of it)

and the pump in style advanced backpack

Do any of you have any experience with these pumps?

Mommy of FIVE!!!

Tara~12.16.03  Zachary~5.17.05  Rowan~1.17.09  Willow~8/10/11 Baby~ EDA 1/27/13

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Go with a Symphony or Lactina. Both are hospital grade, and while the same company (Medela) makes them, they are higher quality than the Pump In Style.  I have used both, and prefer the Symphony, I got a slightly better response and it is more portable than the Lactina.

Miarose88
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Definitely hospital grade. I used the lactina and loved it. I was using a hand pump before I rented the lactina and hardly got anything and was so frustrated. Renting the hospital grade saved me from resorting to formula. The lactina was not very portable as prescherskid said and I've never used the symphony. But either one I would think would work great
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

symphony or lactina are hospital grade those are awesome

Eliots_momma
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I have the isa and i really like it but it isnt medical grade. I would choose the symphony probably.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I used a Lactina for ten months. The portability problem is due to its large carry case. I stopped using the big hard case and transferred it to a smaller bag. 

whoopsie16
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:04 PM
never used symphony, but i used lactina. worked great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tlbmrf
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I have a pump instyle that my sister gave me that doesn't work as well for me at least. I got a Symphony and it works amazing. I have it from WIC and I love it. the only thing that I don't like about the sympohony compared to the pump in style is that it is a lot bulkier then my pum in style. I usually use my sisters at work and mine at home cause it works better that way.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:41 PM

If I'm not mistaken the Pump in style is the one with an open system which CAN allow milk into the pump causing mold . The other two I believe are closed higher grade systems & I would choose them over the pis anyday, IF I had to choose a Medela product.(I prefer Hygea or Ameda though)

BabyFruit Ticker

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Definitely Symphony, hands down, no question!

Both the Symphony and the Lactina are hospital grade closed system pumps, but the Lactina is the old model. The symphony is newer and has features the Lactina does not have and it is much more portable. Very easy and convenient.

The Pump in style is an open system single user pump, the motor can get contaminated w/o you even knowing.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM
This!

Quoting mamabens:

If I'm not mistaken the Pump in style is the one with an open system which CAN allow milk into the pump causing mold . The other two I believe are closed higher grade systems & I would choose them over the pis anyday, IF I had to choose a Medela product.(I prefer Hygea or Ameda though)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)