Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick Baby, Odd poops

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 5 Replies

My daughter will be 6 months old on Feb 6. She started runnning a fever on Thurs. night, that got up to 102.2 degrees. Took her to the dr. yesterday....they checked her for RSV, Flu, UTI and Strep, all negative. (4 of my other kids in the past week and half have run high temps that were followed by yucky respiratory symptoms...2 of those tested positive for strep, 2 tested negative) Anyways, yesterday evening baby had a mucousy green stool and later a movement that seemed mostly mucousy (just a small movement). Her fever got up to 103.2 last night and today her bowels are moving frequently and are more the norm color for her (yellow) but appear to have white chunks...I don't mean the little seedy bits either, I mean chunks like med-lrg curd cottage cheese. I just want to elaborate that the entire bowel movement is NOT white, it is yellow, there are just white chunks in it. She is mostly breastfed but has had the occassional bottle of formula (last formula was 4 oz of Good Start in the ER yesterday evening around 8pm) and I've also given her a couple of bottles of Pedialyte. She has not started any solids.  I have 9 kids and I've never seen white chunks in the stool. I'm thinking maybe she has a viral infection but I'm not sure that would cause those stools. Any info, suggestions, advice, etc. appreciated.

***She just had another movement, still yellow, no white chunks this time but very mucousy.

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Eliots_momma
by Jessica on Jan. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Dont know about the white chunks but green and mucousy is normal for a baby fighting an infection. As long as baby is nursing well I would probably stop the pedialyte. BM will help her way more than pedialyte bc it is full of vitamins and most importantly with antibody to help her fight off whatever she has.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Dont know about the white chunks but green and mucousy is normal for a baby fighting an infection. As long as baby is nursing well I would probably stop the pedialyte. BM will help her way more than pedialyte bc it is full of vitamins and most importantly with antibody to help her fight off whatever she has.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Agreed

Quoting aehanrahan:

Quoting Eliots_momma:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rlambert6002
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:15 PM

That's what I was thinking ;)

Quoting Eliots_momma:

GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Foamy green poops means they are getting only top milk, and not the heavy fatty stuff higher up.

My third had mucousy greenish brown stools with fussiness and mild fever and I had to quit both lactose and gluten.  This cleared it up in a couple days. I tried adding either on occasion and it all came back.

So....maybe?

:-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)