Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

hes not taking me seriously...

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
  • 11 Replies
so my 8 mo. old keeps biting me while nursing. i firmly say no & put the boobie in my shirt.

....but he just laughs!! i have to keep from smiling cause hes so stinkin' cute!!

other times he'll throw a tantrum when i put my boobie away, but how do i get him to take me seriously?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Put him down and walk away. That is the best way to break that. 

whoopsie16
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Have you read the sticky "when babies attack" ? Read it & follow it. Walk away from him for 5 minutes when he does it. He'll get it eventually & realize biting= hungry & will stop. You may have to remind him every now & then but it's not so bad. Also...is he teething? Could that be why he's biting? Maybe you could watch him closely & anticipate when he will bite & unlatch BEFORE it happens.

BabyFruit Ticker

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the problem with the saying no method, it's too entertaining! Watch your baby closely and you will quickly learn to anticipate his bite. He can't bite you while actively nursing (his tongue covers his bottom teeth). Watch for him to stop actively nursing and get ready to chomp (it's subtle, and it happens quickly, but you'll figure it out). Take him off before he bites. Don't say anything or react, just quickly slip your finger in to unlatch him and take him off. A few days of this and he will figure out that the only thing you allow us active nursing, and you won't have to do it any more. It worked like a charm for all 3 of my kids.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

That's the problem with the saying no method, it's too entertaining! Watch your baby closely and you will quickly learn to anticipate his bite. He can't bite you while actively nursing (his tongue covers his bottom teeth). Watch for him to stop actively nursing and get ready to chomp (it's subtle, and it happens quickly, but you'll figure it out). Take him off before he bites. Don't say anything or react, just quickly slip your finger in to unlatch him and take him off. A few days of this and he will figure out that the only thing you allow us active nursing, and you won't have to do it any more. It worked like a charm for all 3 of my kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM
I was always able to anticipate a bite by how they looked at me and how yhey nursed.

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whoopsie16
by Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:45 PM
thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
becky1109
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

the only way i got m son to quit bitingbwas loudly say ouch! and i mean loud as if he really really hurt you  then he realizes it hurts momma

GraceStrickland
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Push a thumb gently into his chin and when you feel a bite coming softly pull down so he can't clamp. Otherwise, they outgrow it quick.  He's 8 months old so no matter how extreme or harsh your reaction he isn't really old enough to grasp much cause and effect. But if he is doing a lot of biting, take a break and wait until he is really hungry.

I had a couple biters, it is nasty business. Lots of sympathy!!!

Don't listen to people who say to flick their gums, that is cruel and not age appropriate.

Lynette
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:38 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/91398/Biting_when_breastfeeding_solution

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)