Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Viral Infection

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

So, I recently made a post on here about how my seven month old was running a 102 fever. Well, yesterday morning, he woke up with a fever of 103. He threw up and kept shaking. So we decided to go ahead and take him to the ER.  The DR took a look at his ears, nose, mouth, and even ran some blood. Everything was normal. The dr said it was a viral infection and that he had seen a lot of young babies that week with the same symptoms. So they sent us home and told us to give him tylenol every four hours.

Well, today, his fever has gone up and down. From 101 to 103.3. And it is 2:33 here and this is the first time since he woke up at 9:00 this morning, that he has slept for more than 5 minutes. Every time before now that I would try and get him to nap, he would sleep for like 5 minutes and than wake up crying.

This is the first time he's been sick with this high of a fever. He had a cold at about 3.5 months but the highest his fever went was 101. I am absolutely worried sick about him. I just wish there was more I could do to help him...though I am glad he does not have the flu.

I've been breastfeeding A LOT today which I am hoping will help him getter better soon. Also, I don't want him to get dehyrdated. I swear, he has been permanently attached to my boob all day. I think he might have had trouble sleeping because he had gas on top of everything else. I rubbed his tummy, after stripping him down to nothing but his diaper, and he farted a lot and then took a big poop. It was slightly runny but it's been a lot runnier before.

Not really asking any questions, this was more of an info/rant post. But if any of you experienced mommies have any advice on things I can do to make him more comfortable than please, I am open to it. Also, in my other post, a lot of people were saying how sometimes it's best NOT to medicate. I'm simply following the dr's orders. Also, I skipped a dose last night when his temp was 101 and I woke up 3hrs later and he had a fever of 103.5. So, I will not be skipping another dose.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont know mama :( It look like you are doinf a lot. I think some babies are more prone to high fevers than other. Also i alwaya noticed mine had higher fevers when they woke up or when they were sleeping. Praying he gets better soon!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Also, when it gets high, try a luke warm bath.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I'll try this. He's still sleeping but I managed to take his temp by mouth, though I usually do it anally, and the thermoter read 102.2. If it gets any higher, i'll stick him in the bath. Cause it hasn't been 4 hrs since his last does. Its been like 2.5- 3 hrs.

Quoting Precious333:

CafeMom Tickers
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this
It shoukd work, and he may not enjoy the bath, but i worked when my sons came up to 104. I was reading on www.askdrsears.com and he said under 103 is ok.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I'll try this. He's still sleeping but I managed to take his temp by mouth, though I usually do it anally, and the thermoter read 102.2. If it gets any higher, i'll stick him in the bath. Cause it hasn't been 4 hrs since his last does. Its been like 2.5- 3 hrs.

Quoting Precious333:

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Hope he gets better soon :(

The height of the fever isnt an indication of how sick he is. I know it's scary for you. Just keep nursing him he'll be fine :)

Keep us posted!!
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM
When my LO was sick, my friend suggested skin to skin, she said it will help his temperature match mine. We never tried it but might be worth a shot
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I just checked his fever and it is down to 100.5...I'm hoping it stays down.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Well, he seems to be doing much better. The highest his fever got today was 101. And it hasn't gotten higher than that. He seems to be back to his normal happy self. He's still a bit cranky because of the teething but that's been the norm for the past few weeks. He's getting his top two teeth in and they are just giving him hell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)