Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Soooo nervous bfing won't work out again

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:28 AM
  • 5 Replies
I'm due in 2 weeks with #2 and plan to bf. I'm sooooo nervous that it wont work out again. Suggestions to calm down about it?

Here's what happened with my first:
We had a slightly rough labor and delivery. I chose to get induced after going late. He was born 10 days past edd. I was on pitocin for 29+ hours. We ended up using a vacuum to help him because he was starting to get worn out (after no sleep so was I). It gave my poor baby a headache. :( I was completely exhausted and had a bit of blood gushing (and a big clot the next day). I thiiiink I was anemic as well. We both had no energy. He got bad jaundice and lost weight. I was whiter than a ghost and got ppd. Yeah, bad ecpierence. Anyways, we had latching issues. I tried using a nipple shield (that was too small) and it seems to make matters worse. Due to him losing weight, I started pumping. I couldn't keep up with pumping (feel asleep while feeding him previously pumped milk) and it added to the ppd. Giving him the bottle (I believe) caused nipple confusion. At around 5 or 6 weeks old I switched him to formula. (Best and worst feeling at the time.) I didn't learn enough and decided it was best. He is now a happy, healthy 1 yr old. :D

Now, every time I think of breastfeeding all I can think of is the horrible experience we had. I'm afraid it will happen again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
My ds1 is 7 yo now. He was ff even though I wanted to bf. I had ppd after him and no support at home. I lasted 3 days nursing him and never pumped. He got bottles at the hospital. We got a formula sample there too. Everyone at home said to just give him a bottle. I was also young (19) and still did as my parents said so a bottle is what he got. Now, I have ds2, 8 weeks old and a nursing champ. Point of my story is to tell you history doesn't always repeat itself. The most important thing is a healthy baby. This time, don't give up despite any trouble you might have. Plan for the worst, you might end up being pleasantly surprised. Just remember what you learned the first time around and you'll be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Hmmm... ok. All babies loose weight. It is expected... 10-12%. Also nearly all babies are jaundice at birth (some just slightly, some severely) but the best thing is for baby to poop and breastmilk is a natural laxative. Formula can be constipating and make jaundice last longer. When you're that tuckered out try a side lying position. That way you don't have to bare the weight of the baby. Don't look at formula as an option unless it's 100% needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Titana
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
First take a deep breath!! You did what u felt was best at the time so let what happened with your first baby go. This time can and will be different. Arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can and hold tight to support. If you can't get support from your family, you can get it here ten fold. :) you can do this and it can be a great experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Quoting SarineLewis:

I'm due in 2 weeks with #2 and plan to bf. I'm sooooo nervous that it wont work out again. Suggestions to calm down about it?
Normally my first suggestion is "forget you ever did this before." But sometimes review can be a helpful exercise. I do remember your screen name but not the situation.

Here's what happened with my first:
We had a slightly rough labor and delivery. I chose to get induced after going late. He was born 10 days past edd. I was on pitocin for 29+ hours.
Oh, dear. Drug of the devil. I'd stay in labor for an entire YEAR rather than take that stuff ever again.
Just to file this away... EDDs can be wrong by two weeks in EITHER direction. So, let it go to at least 14 days unless you're completely disabled by continuing the pregnancy.
We ended up using a vacuum to help him because he was starting to get worn out (after no sleep so was I). It gave my poor baby a headache. :( I was completely exhausted and had a bit of blood gushing (and a big clot the next day). I thiiiink I was anemic as well. We both had no energy.
After that kind of delivery, no surprise. Actually, I'm startled they didn't do a c-section after 29 hours on pitocin. I think that's a plus, though. 
Have you talked with your doc about the delivery? It really sets the tone for everything else.
He got bad jaundice and lost weight.
Jaundice and weight loss are both normal. Worrisome bili counts are those in the high teens to 20s in the early days. Loss of 10% is expected in week one for a vaginal birth.
I was whiter than a ghost and got ppd.
Did you need tranfusions? And again just to establish info... you know you can take meds for PPD while nursing?
Yeah, bad ecpierence. Anyways, we had latching issues.
Not uncommon for the type of birth you had. 
I tried using a nipple shield (that was too small) and it seems to make matters worse. Due to him losing weight, I started pumping. I couldn't keep up with pumping (feel asleep while feeding him previously pumped milk) and it added to the ppd. Giving him the bottle (I believe) caused nipple confusion. At around 5 or 6 weeks old I switched him to formula. (Best and worst feeling at the time.) I didn't learn enough and decided it was best. He is now a happy, healthy 1 yr old. :D

Now, every time I think of breastfeeding all I can think of is the horrible experience we had. I'm afraid it will happen again.
Refuse induction and very likely you won't have a single repeat. You had the "where everything goes wrong" type of experience. Don't let your doc talk you into a repeat.
Most of the time we see moms have "perfect" second and third births because a bad first birth made them a smarter consumer who finds a doc who will not even bring up the word "induce."
Luvinmyjaja
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 2:15 PM

It will be okay I couldn't feed my first 4 passed 2 weeks. My 5th is now going on 8 wks strong!! No formula or anything. 

___________________________________________________________________________________

Have you tried a crazy wrap thing yet? Contact me today to see results in 45 minutes! Tighten, tone and firm those trouble areas. OR ask about the job opportunity guarantee $500 a month and chances to make 10k, 25k, 50k, or all 3 till march!!! Msg me here,at Wrap2wealth, or you can also call or txt 812-259-9017!!

Check out all our other amazing products and sign up to ge 50% off on them as a loyal customer!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)