Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Edit What they don't tell you about BFing...

Posted by   + Show Post
1) it is messy!! I have never gone through so many burp cloths and reding blankets in my life! I feel like both DS and I should wear rain jackets 24/7.

2) Everyrhing leaks!! And all the time. While DS is sucking down one boob the other one will be spraying out like a shower head. And just when I think I have it covered it will start leaking in some backwards unforeseen place (I swear I have a third nipple).

3) My boobs laugh at those tiny breast pads. I have to take ultra thick burp cloths and stuff them down my bra.

4) my baby hates one of my boobs. Seriously he refuses my right boob. I have to trick him to get him to empty it.

5) BF babies poop a LOT!! But I guess that is better than the opposite problem I had with my formula fed babies.

Anyone have anything else they want to add?

Okay, some people have taken this as me complaining, but really I love BFing. I just wish I had been warned lol.

So I will add all the things I love about BFing...

1) I love that it gives me an excuse to hold my baby all the time. With my older boys I wanted to hold them all the time but always felt the need to get up and do other things - like housework. Now feeding my baby is more important than dishes.

2) I love how it made my body shrunk back to normal.

3) I love the bond I have with DS.

4) I love not having to pack bottles or wash bottles of prepare bottles... Ect

5) I love the non stinky poop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:12 PM
I hope I neve have to pump.

And I've noticed that older people seem to be weirded out when I nurse even with a cover

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Pumping sucks IMO

People are sometimes still uncomfortable with you feeding your baby, even if your covered.

Your boobs might get some crazy illnesses, this for sure was known about to me, but my male Doctor sure seemed to have little knowledge to give me other then meds.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Quoting Monkeymama930:

If u bf a toddler eventually he will unbutton your shirt in the most embarrassing place :-)

That's why I stopped wearing button up shirts and started wearing layers when out with the kids- slows them down lol.  I enjoy nursing my two year old, especially when everyone is sick (like right now) and she gets better first (which is also annoying cuz now she feels good enough to run around and I do not :P

She does try to nurse through my shirt lol.  She has a good strong suck but not that good.

CafeMom Tickers
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I am absolutely loving all the extra cuddling!!

I also love BFing more than I thought I would. I wish I had given it more of a try with my oldest...

Quoting audreesmama:

That I would love it so much. I honestly thought it would be just for nutrition, but I enjoy an excuse to sneak away with my baby and cuddle. He is such a good eater, too! We cuddle in the mornings and he just smiles as he eats, and it's the sweetest thing I've ever seen.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh trust me I am loving BFing. I just wish I had been warned how messy it can be.

I was given all this advice on what to do of you have a low milk supply but I didn't even know there was such a thing as oversupply or forceful letdown

Also in loving the non smelly poop.

Quoting momalee40:

Wow, anyone reading this would think twice about BF, but seriously, yes there are drawbacks but i never regretted bf with either of mine and.look forward to it witb this one... A couple things i want to add, breastmilk doesnt stain clothes like formula and bf baby's poo has nowhere near the odor that ff poo does ! Lots of other pluses too !

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Baby snuggles are the best

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I'm never alone anyways.

But I love how I always have to him, it gives me extra snuggle time.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

You will never be alone again, baby will always be attached to you

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:27 PM

The boob flu is what I call mastitis, there is thrush, engorgment, bleeding nipples, cracked nipples, etc etc etc... :)

Quoting Precious333:

Im confused withe the last statement.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Pumping sucks IMO

People are sometimes still uncomfortable with you feeding your baby, even if your covered.

Your boobs might get some crazy illnesses, this for sure was known about to me, but my male Doctor sure seemed to have little knowledge to give me other then meds.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM
Gotcha!

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

The boob flu is what I call mastitis, there is thrush, engorgment, bleeding nipples, cracked nipples, etc etc etc... :)

Quoting Precious333:

Im confused withe the last statement.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Pumping sucks IMO

Mrs.Brugger
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM

hahahaha YES

Quoting christineT79:

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

yes!!! i always said that is smelled like buttered popcorn! Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy!!

Quoting christineT79:

That their poops will smell like buttery popcorn. lmao. I always read that they will smell sweet. Nope not here, buttery popcorn everytime.

Everyone thinks I'm crazy too. It's probly because I'm the only one changing her diapers. Even her room smells like buttery popcorn. lol. I don't even like popcorn & I have to say I kind of like the smell of her poop. lol.

kmorales7690
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM
That's how I was, with mine when I was breastfeeding I barely got milk so whatever I got went into my children's mouths! I never leaked!

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Very true!

It does sound like you are experiencing a bit of an oversupply issue! Once your supply gets down to what baby actually needs most (more likely ALL) of your lst will disappear!

Probably one reason why you were not told those things is because not everyone is so "lucky".

My friend easily fed her twins and never leaked a single drop! She never even needed breast pads, meanwhile I was nursing my one baby and needed to sleep with a towel.

lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:34 PM

with my first i leaked through a breastpad, padded bra, 2 shirts and a jacket...wtf. and when we nursed at night i had to sleep in a puddle. Thankfully with my second none of that happens :) my first was a spitter, hows your let down? overactive letdown can cause the constant spitting. my first pooped alot and my second poops like once a week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN