Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Edit What they don't tell you about BFing...

Posted by   + Show Post
1) it is messy!! I have never gone through so many burp cloths and reding blankets in my life! I feel like both DS and I should wear rain jackets 24/7.

2) Everyrhing leaks!! And all the time. While DS is sucking down one boob the other one will be spraying out like a shower head. And just when I think I have it covered it will start leaking in some backwards unforeseen place (I swear I have a third nipple).

3) My boobs laugh at those tiny breast pads. I have to take ultra thick burp cloths and stuff them down my bra.

4) my baby hates one of my boobs. Seriously he refuses my right boob. I have to trick him to get him to empty it.

5) BF babies poop a LOT!! But I guess that is better than the opposite problem I had with my formula fed babies.

Anyone have anything else they want to add?

Okay, some people have taken this as me complaining, but really I love BFing. I just wish I had been warned lol.

So I will add all the things I love about BFing...

1) I love that it gives me an excuse to hold my baby all the time. With my older boys I wanted to hold them all the time but always felt the need to get up and do other things - like housework. Now feeding my baby is more important than dishes.

2) I love how it made my body shrunk back to normal.

3) I love the bond I have with DS.

4) I love not having to pack bottles or wash bottles of prepare bottles... Ect

5) I love the non stinky poop.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Replies (51-60):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Does your LO prefer one side vs the other?

I'm scared this is going to happen to me.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

MY BOOBS ARE LOPSIDED!! My left is HUGE and sags more. My right is still a reasonable size

Also, one boob produces way more.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM
The spit up has actually gotten much better. I took some advice from people on here and he has gotten used to my forceful letdown. His spit up is what I would consider normal for a baby now.

It is the leaking that is the problem. I probably leak more than most women even produce.

Quoting WHITELIGHTJENNY:

My babies didn't spit up that much, I always made sure to berp them after though. I'm sorry your having complications but the bond you will have w your little one is amazing. Keep up the good work and everything will work out. You will look back n a couple of years n praise yourself

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:52 AM
That sounds like me!!

Yesterday during church I leaked trough a breast pad, a thick bra, a tank top, a shit and sweater and my Moby!

I have a forceful letdown, but I've tried suggestions on here and it seems to be helping. DS is starting to spit less and less each day. I would say his spit ups are within normal range now.

Quoting lifeforchrist:

with my first i leaked through a breastpad, padded bra, 2 shirts and a jacket...wtf. and when we nursed at night i had to sleep in a puddle. Thankfully with my second none of that happens :) my first was a spitter, hows your let down? overactive letdown can cause the constant spitting. my first pooped alot and my second poops like once a week!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatmynameagain
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:53 AM
3 moms liked this
I never knew nipples have more than one hole until I bf my first and it sprayed out if three places at once.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM
2 moms liked this
They giggle and smile at the nearest site of boobies
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sunflower_rn
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM

these are true for me too :/ can't put her down she will just now "tolerate" her daddy lol

Quoting Meghan6391:

6. they are more clingy than formula fed babies

7. they wake up more times during the night then formula fed babies do

8. i have seen they are gassier than normal 

9. they are more likely to be over protective of anyone touching you you.. 

well this is my experience atleast.. my oldest was formula fed and he is little mr independant and has been since he was born. my baby is wanting me 24-7 and god forbid anyone hugs me or touches me.. he will attach them for being too close to my boobies 

Mrs.Brugger
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:07 AM

She's always preferred my left-the bigger/more productive one. My right nipple doesn't stick out as far as the left either, and I have to put her in the football hold to nurse her on the right.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Does your LO prefer one side vs the other?

I'm scared this is going to happen to me.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

MY BOOBS ARE LOPSIDED!! My left is HUGE and sags more. My right is still a reasonable size

Also, one boob produces way more.

moroccanmommy
by Robin on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM
I really haven't had the problems or issues you pointed out sounds like you had an oversupply. Super funny!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM

My baby was very mommy clingy for a month or two. He did poop 6 times the 1st night, hahaha daddy saying just wait for those nasty tarry diapers. Loud mouth got them all that 1st night. He did poop and pee a lot at the same time for a month or two. Now he poops every other day. And yeah his poop smells good. Like it is something good you want to eat. I can't quite place the smell exactly but what is worse. There is a place in town that makes another brand of little debbie cakes. It smells the same way if you drive down that road. I was checking and rechecking the baby for dirty diaper. It was the plant. :( Made me think twice about my last purchase of little debbie cakes. But I hadn't gotten any heart ones so did it anyway.

Sunflower_rn
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I agree they really preach about low supply but no mentions of over. I even mentioned before we left the hospital to the LC and feel like she didn't believe me and blew me off til 4 weeks later I went back to see her with a screaming colicky baby :(

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Oh trust me I am loving BFing. I just wish I had been warned how messy it can be.

I was given all this advice on what to do of you have a low milk supply but I didn't even know there was such a thing as oversupply or forceful letdown

Also in loving the non smelly poop.

Quoting momalee40:

Wow, anyone reading this would think twice about BF, but seriously, yes there are drawbacks but i never regretted bf with either of mine and.look forward to it witb this one... A couple things i want to add, breastmilk doesnt stain clothes like formula and bf baby's poo has nowhere near the odor that ff poo does ! Lots of other pluses too !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)