Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Want to wean without breaking son's heart

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 6 Replies

My boy is 14 months, and it's not so much that I want to wean him completely, but he is glued to me all the time. He eats regularly, but still want to BF all the time. I homeschool 3rd grade with my 7 year old, and I just can't be BF every time the 14 month old wants to.

Ideas, suggestions....?

by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this

You may limit nursings. Don't tell him "no," tell him, "Not now. After Barney." Or some other marker he'll understand. Distract and delay. He WILL be unhappy at first. There's no way around that, I'm afraid. But limits are better thaan complete weaning. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:13 PM

THIS exactly

Quoting gdiamante:

You may limit nursings. Don't tell him "no," tell him, "Not now. After Barney." Or some other marker he'll understand. Distract and delay. He WILL be unhappy at first. There's no way around that, I'm afraid. But limits are better thaan complete weaning. 

WHITELIGHTJENNY
by Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Oh, I can definatly empathise, my dd is almost 3 and about 2 weeks ago, I had to cut her back to nap time and nighttime. She was nursing about every hour r more. I was constantly getting dehydrated. I just didn't realize why. She had trbl at first but now is adjusting a lot better. Send me a msg if u need help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM
You can absolutely limit.
Many mothers chose to.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 27, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Yep, agreed. Im homeschooling my older two, and i knoa how hard that can be with a toddler. My 2 yr old has beeb wanting to nurse all day and i have had to distract and set limits. Sometimes he csn be distracred no problem and other times he can be prett unhappt aboit it. Maybe when you are in tgw middle of something that requires more of your attention you can have a special treat or activity for him to do.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Just know that he may be just as needy and clingy (or more!) if you try to limit nursing at this age!

I homeschool my older two kids so I understand where you are coming from. I, however, actually find it makes things easier. It is a really easy way to keep her quiet and happy while I'm trying to work with them. It is harder now that she is 3, it doesn't really work!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN