Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

baby food help !

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
  • 16 Replies

My ds is 6 months old and Im starting to make babyfood for him. Is there info about what food to start at what ages? When can you start herbs/spices? For now hes just got squash, carrots, avocados, bananas and chicken, pureed. I also read that they can't have certain vegetables until 9 months. Any advice, link suggestions would be great T.I.A.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Grains are really the thing to be concerned about. I can't recall ever coming across a veggie a baby couldn't have. Maybe artichokes since they're kind of challenging? **grin**

We didn't limit anything but rather practiced "he eats what we eat." Seasonings and all. Just no hot stuff. 

DragonMother10
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:40 PM
My son's Pediatrician gave is a list. You should look it up. Still to young to add any spices. My son is 9 months and still isn't supposed to have any spices, but since he can eat table food, we let him have some stuff with little bit of spices.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM

They can have anything at 6 months except honey or choking hazards. Just look at your plate and see what healthy, soft foods you can put in little bite sized pieces on baby's tray: steamed veggies, sweet potato, pasta, etc. You don't need to purée it first. Just put. It in little pea sized pieces on baby's tray and let him feed himself. It's okay if not much actually makes it into his mouth :-)

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Our ydd hated purees with a passion, so we skipped to soft cooked sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, pears, bananas, avocado, etc.  Once she got the hang of it she got whatever we ate, seasoning and all.  Since I pretty much cook everything anyway, I can control what goes in so she could still taste the foods (which is why I was told babies should get plain foods at first, so they could get used to tasting just the food, which seemed a bit odd to me, but hey whatever works)

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting DragonMother10:

My son's Pediatrician gave is a list. You should look it up. Still to young to add any spices. My son is 9 months and still isn't supposed to have any spices, but since he can eat table food, we let him have some stuff with little bit of spices.

Spices are okay actually (unless there is a specific reason for your LO). I know DD was choking dwn spicy chicken enchiladas at 8 months old.

I'm guessing this lst that doc gave you is outdated. They used to think that you needed to delay certain highly allergenic foods. There is lots of good research out now that shows it makes no difference to delay those foods.

The exception is if you have a family history of allergies. Then you may want to delay, mainly because if baby is going to react, better when he's a little older/bigger/stronger.

1stpreggers
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I've been trying to google a milestone list, but I only get allergenic foods and grains info.

Quoting DragonMother10:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:48 PM
There are plenty of countries with some pretty flavorful foods that feed their babies the same when they start eating solids. I would probably avoid jalapeños for a while longer. ;-). When my youngest was a bit over a year old, she sat on my lap and fed herself jambalaya from my plate. It didn't phase her a bit, and at 3 years old she has some pretty sophisticated taste.
1stpreggers
by on Jan. 27, 2013 at 11:51 PM

I'm the same I make pretty much everything we eat. I wasn't sure which (if any ) foods to avoid. 

Quoting preacherskid:

Our ydd hated purees with a passion, so we skipped to soft cooked sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, pears, bananas, avocado, etc.  Once she got the hang of it she got whatever we ate, seasoning and all.  Since I pretty much cook everything anyway, I can control what goes in so she could still taste the foods (which is why I was told babies should get plain foods at first, so they could get used to tasting just the food, which seemed a bit odd to me, but hey whatever works)

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 1stpreggers:

I'm the same I make pretty much everything we eat. I wasn't sure which (if any ) foods to avoid. 

Quoting preacherskid:

I would avoid super spicy things, like jalapeno, or some of the more fiery curry or stir fry dishes, but generally if anyone in the family can handle it baby will be okay.  Watch for reactions and eliminate as needed- for example ydd reacts to cinnamon, turns her face red and welts up where it has touched.  So she doesn't get anything with cinnamon in it; odd has a dairy allergy so no dairy.  

CafeMom Tickers
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Whatever your eating.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN