Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control...

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

I've asked before but I'm still on the fence..

I got for my 4 week PP appmt tomorrow and I have to decide what birth control I want to use. Personally I'm not really sure and I'm most concerned with the effect on my supply.

DS is EBF and my OB suggested either the mini pill or an IUD. DH and I don't feel comfortable with NFP or pulling out and we both hate condoms...but will if we HAVE to.

I think I want to do the pill for now but, like I said, I'm just not sure right now. Any one who has used either method, what were your experiences?

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mantidae
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I am in love with my copper IUD.  I held out for a while because it creeped me out, but now I wouldn't choose any other method.  No hormones, nothing to remember, no weight gain, no monthly expense.

Also, I had one for a few years, and when I wanted to get pregnant, there was no wait.  I got pregnant literally the week I got the IUD out.  I had my current IUD put in at my 6 wk pp visit.

ANSnyder
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM
I took Nora B mini pill from 6 weeks pp to 11 months pp. It worked great for me. No side effects with my supply. I wanted the IUD but my insurance wouldn't cover it and after having all the hospital bills from having my DD I couldn't afford another $2,000 in doctor bills. Good luck which ever you choose!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Denisethedaring
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I got an IUD (Mirena) when my daughter was 8 months old...my milk supply had been slowly drying up already due to me not being able to pump often enough to keep it to its pre-me-going-back-to-work levels, but I don't think the Mirena had any effect on the rate of drying.  I don't know for absolute sure though...I do like the Mirena a lot.  I haven't had a period in 6 months, and no other detectable side effects. :)

mrs.mama5
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM

i tried the iud i loved it while it was in

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Same here. Loved it. Had it taken out Feb 21st and found out on Mar 31st we were expecting again. Now I go back on Feb 13th for it again.

Quoting Mantidae:

I am in love with my copper IUD.  I held out for a while because it creeped me out, but now I wouldn't choose any other method.  No hormones, nothing to remember, no weight gain, no monthly expense.

Also, I had one for a few years, and when I wanted to get pregnant, there was no wait.  I got pregnant literally the week I got the IUD out.  I had my current IUD put in at my 6 wk pp visit.

Titana
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM
I have the mirena and I love it. No supply issues at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arigdon4
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

This is probably a stupid question but how exactly do they insert the mirena? 

Quoting Titana:

Titana
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Speculum and then they measure you and just push it in. The worst part for me was the speculum. I didn't even feel the rest. :) hope that helps.

Quoting arigdon4:

This is probably a stupid question but how exactly do they insert the mirena? 

Quoting Titana:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amiesmomma
by on Jan. 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I have the mirena.  got it seven weeks pp.  insertion hurt but no problems since

Mantidae
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Just to be clear: Mirena is a hormonal IUD. There is also a copper IUD, which is what I have and espouse my love for above. The copper IUD has no hormones, so no hormonal side effects - won't effect your milk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)