Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

His levels went up

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM
  • 38 Replies
Hi,! I had posted about the dr wanting us to give DJ formula because his jaufence was an 11 when we he born. It went to a 9.5 when we left the hospital, today they rechecked him and it's at 15. I was so upset & suprised. He's pooping & eating like crazy . When he was born he weighed 7.15 and today he weight 8.5, so he's gained good weight. He's only 4 days old.

I know a lot of you had said your children had this. I'm so worried now. I try to get him to eat more but it only makes him spit up. It hasn't been sunny here at all. Tomorrow it's suppose to be sunny. So ill try to sit him in the window., all day! We go back wen. , has anyone had the scores actually go up ?

Thanks!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:40 AM
1 mom liked this
With my son they went up and down until he was almost two weeks old. Then they started to steadily go down. I have heard around two weeks old they do usually go way down, but until then you have to deal with heel sticks and try to give lots of milk and sunshine.
cadditalbrat
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:42 AM
have the dr's talked to you about a billi~blanket? my son's jaundice levels went up after we had taken him home and thwy ordered him to sleep on the billi~blanket as much as possible. It helped a lot. I would ask your dr about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mymanben
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM
My son had slight jaundence but it just passed on its on. But here's a bump
hapababies
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Yes, with both of my boys, their levels went into the 20's. We went home with a bili blanket with each boy. My first son did well with being on the blanket for 48 straight hours, with a break or two for outside sun time, and nursing on demand.
My second son didn't do so well with the type of blanket they sent us home with(it was different than with my older son). I also didn't know about waking him up to nurse, so he slept for long periods of time. I ended up alternating feedings with formula and nursing. But, I didn't know about cafemom or this group and was scared to death that they were going to admit him into the hospital. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have given him formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:00 AM
I told the doctor today that I obviously was producing enough milk, I mean he's gained good weight. I wake him up about every 3 hours and he eats 3 oz. / she said to make him wake up every 2. So that's what we've done tonight but , he just throws up right after he eats when I make him eat like that. So I dont know what to do. It's suppose to be 70 and sunny tomorrow.

Quoting hapababies:

Yes, with both of my boys, their levels went into the 20's. We went home with a bili blanket with each boy. My first son did well with being on the blanket for 48 straight hours, with a break or two for outside sun time, and nursing on demand.

My second son didn't do so well with the type of blanket they sent us home with(it was different than with my older son). I also didn't know about waking him up to nurse, so he slept for long periods of time. I ended up alternating feedings with formula and nursing. But, I didn't know about cafemom or this group and was scared to death that they were going to admit him into the hospital. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have given him formula.

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Thanks

Quoting mymanben:

My son had slight jaundence but it just passed on its on. But here's a bump

juniebug11
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:01 AM
She said after wen. I guess we would see where his levels where. I feel guilty but I still think that the breast milk is better. He's pooling a lot

Quoting cadditalbrat:

have the dr's talked to you about a billi~blanket? my son's jaundice levels went up after we had taken him home and thwy ordered him to sleep on the billi~blanket as much as possible. It helped a lot. I would ask your dr about it.

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Are you pumping and bottle feeding? I would just wake baby up every 2 hours and nurse. That's what I did with my first 2. My last one was a 9 when I left the hospital and his dr never rechecked him.

Quoting juniebug11:

I told the doctor today that I obviously was producing enough milk, I mean he's gained good weight. I wake him up about every 3 hours and he eats 3 oz. / she said to make him wake up every 2. So that's what we've done tonight but , he just throws up right after he eats when I make him eat like that. So I dont know what to do. It's suppose to be 70 and sunny tomorrow.

Quoting hapababies:

cadditalbrat
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM
my son is strictly breastfeed as well. And some times it's just not enough.

Quoting juniebug11:

She said after wen. I guess we would see where his levels where. I feel guilty but I still think that the breast milk is better. He's pooling a lot

Quoting cadditalbrat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM
At only 4 days old, 1.5-2oz is a full feeding. Are you nursing at all? I wouldn't go more than 2hrs in between feedings. It *is* normal for the numbers to rise before the go away. Ask doc for a bili blanket. :)

Quoting juniebug11:

Quoting hapababies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)