Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think more moms would breastfeed if

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 46 Replies
2 moms liked this

They were told in advance how hard it can be at the beginning.

All you hear is how good it is for baby and all the health benefits for mom too.

No one mentions the awful pain from baby learning to latch (two weeks' worth at least for many women), or the frustration of a big baby being fussy and hungry for days until your milk comes in.

My son was almost 11 lbs, and when I broke down and gave him formula after he couldn't get full from nursing, he ate two full ounces on several occasions. I know the colostrum is sufficient for nutrition, but not for filling an empty tummy. (He's now content with nursing and only gets formula when I'm too sore to handle it).

It's just discouraging to be trying to do the best for your baby and dealing with something like compression injuries (after ONE nursing session) that the LC doesn't know how to fix, and to think "I don't know how long I can do this" instead of "It hurts everyone for a few weeks - I can handle that."

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM
5 moms liked this

Colostrum is sufficient for filling a tummy too.  Newborns eat a lot, pretty much 24/7.  That's normal as their tummy's are incredibly tiny and breastmilk absorbs quickly.

It's very rare for a baby not to get full from a nursing session, if he's still hungry, keep nursing, your boobs don't run out of milk. 

BennyBaby09
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with the above poster. My youngest was "only" 8# 9oz at birth but was up to 13# by TWO WEEKS and he was ebf he was constantly attached to my boobs those first two weeks but he never needed formula to fill him up
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrtymcdnl
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I absolutely agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I loved hearing about how great it was going to be for my baby but I never heard how hard and sometimes painful and all the different struggles and challenges you would go through. 

If I was advising my daughters, friends or whoever else on breastfeeding. The first things I am going to tell them is just how hard it is going to be. IT IS HARD BUT WORTH IT. 

PEEK05
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Yep, everybody made it seem like it was a piece of cake so when I had my first, I was not expecting the issues we had.  At the time, I thought they were big issues and I had no one to turn to and no knowledge of what to do, so I gave up when I couldn't figure out how to resolve these super minor issues.

With my second, since I knew it wasn't easy and there were problems that could arise while breastfeeding, especially in the beginning, I did more research and got more honest answers from people.

So now when people who haven't breastfed ask about it, I say up front that there are some COMMON MINOR ISSUES that can appear and how to solve them, as well as resources for them so that if they experience any of these issues, they know who or where to turn to for more information so they don't have to give up.

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM

I disagree but only because none of those things happened to me & my son was 10lbs 5 oz & never   got upset, fussy or overly hungry. (if he had've I'd have jsut stuck him back on the boob) He WAS on the boob literally 24/7 for a while but I knew that was normal so it wasn't  a big deal to me. I actually never heard all the good, all I heard was horror stories of how  hungry the baby would be, how sore I would be & how hard it would be. For ME(which I  know I am apparently the acception) nursing was very easy & yes I was sore but dang  there IS a kid sucking on me 24/7  you can't expect it NOT to be a little painful. Anyway, I've found just the opposite from you.

BabyFruit Ticker

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this
Yep. Their tummies are so tiny, but they also need to nurse often...newborns are constanhly needing to eat, and i think many people may not understand that, and thats why formula ia ofteb given in the beginning.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Colostrum is sufficient for filling a tummy too.  Newborns eat a lot, pretty much 24/7.  That's normal as their tummy's are incredibly tiny and breastmilk absorbs quickly.

It's very rare for a baby not to get full from a nursing session, if he's still hungry, keep nursing, your boobs don't run out of milk. 

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree!

Also I had the opposite experience. I was told it hurt, I would never make enough and baby would be constantly crying and always hungry.

Yes she was always hungry but I anticipated that and put her to breast as much as 2-3 x an hour around the 3 month mark. I had this expectation that it was going to be a challenge and I think that it was, but it was worth it. I wasn't expecting labor and delivery to be a walk in the park, I was expecting it to be unbearable, but I vividly remember holding her afterwards and thinking to myself, "that wasn't that bad, I could do this again". And I have the same view on breastfeeding. Yeah it sucked and was exhausting but looking back it was way easier than I had it made out to be in my mind.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree. We hear the benefits but I think what needs to be known is that babies are ravishing beasts and you should expect at least two weeks and possibly up to six weeks of absolute non-stop nursing. I think if OP had known that she might not have felt the need to supplement with formula.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Yeah, i agree as well. I think simply just being educated properly about the differebt possibilties. We dont all get the same newborn. Some are high need babies, some are good sleepers, some moms deal with latch issues, thrush, oal, mastitis, some moms have none of these issues. I think its good t know that you may have to deal with these things, or some may not.

Quoting mamabens:

I disagree but only because none of those things happened to me & my son was 10lbs 5 oz & never   got upset, fussy or overly hungry. (if he had've I'd have jsut stuck him back on the boob) He WAS on the boob literally 24/7 for a while but I knew that was normal so it wasn't  a big deal to me. I actually never heard all the good, all I heard was horror stories of how  hungry the baby would be, how sore I would be & how hard it would be. For ME(which I  know I am apparently the acception) nursing was very easy & yes I was sore but dang  there IS a kid sucking on me 24/7  you can't expect it NOT to be a little painful. Anyway, I've found just the opposite from you.

RunningMommaof2
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I agree. I think it's great that people are advocating all the benefits of breastfeeding, but you almost never hear the negative stuff! And because of that, new moms don't always know that it's temporary and give up. I had no idea that nursing would hurt as bad as it did.. And lasted about 8 weeks. I was just too stubborn to give up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN