Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Solids and nursing. EDIT

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
  • 24 Replies

DD will be 6 months in two days. We started her on baby food about 2 weeks ago. She has been sitting up, grabbing food out of our hands, holds spoons, and no longer thrusts her tongue out. Now I always nurse her first and then give her baby food. The last week though she acts like she doesn't want to nurse unless its first thing in the morning or before bed. She will nurse for about 30-40 minutes at those times. The rest of the day she will nurse for 5 minutes top at a time. Usually with 3-4 hours between each feeding.

Her schedule (its not exactly set because I do nurse on demand but its usually around the same time every day)

6:30am- wakes up and nurses

9:00am- 5 minutes nursing then I give her about 4 oz of cereal

12-1 pm- 5 min nursing then 4 oz of baby food.

3-4 pm  -5 maybe 10 minutes of nursing.

6pm - refusing breast wants solids so 4 oz of baby food

8:00pm- nurses then to bed, sleeps all night

She seems pretty content. She has plenty of wet diapers and about 2 poop diapers. She doesn't act like she is having stomach problems.

I guess my question is, does she seems to be nursing enough? I know baby food isn't suppose to replace nursing/BM. She just seems so disinterested which I know happens when babies start becoming active.

Ok after going and reading a few things on kellymom I am not really that worried. I am not convinced that she isn't getting atleast 20 or more oz of BM a day. Her output of wet diapers is great. Her poop is a little more formed but not solid and still seedy.

She does nurse first and kellymom says if she nurses first not to worry about how much solids she is eatting, AS long as she is nursing FIRST.  Plus those five minutes of nursing is pretty fast furious and focused on just nursing. Then she gets a bit distracted. I usually spend another five trying to get her to nurse longer and she will latch on then off and on then off.

I think I will cut down on the cereal but continue to use 4 oz of BM to make it. I will just make it more runny.

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand? ~The Crow

by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Imo, thats way too much solids for a 6 month old. I bet if you cut back to only one meal of solids after she nursea you will find her nursing increases.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:39 PM
And to add, cereal is a filler, with hardly any nutrience.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a lot of solids for her age. Breastmilk should be the major source of her food for the first year. No solids unless she nurses first. Solids are for fun only during the first year. Cereal is actually hard to digest at this age, babies llack the enzymes necessary to fully digest grain products.

Seat her in her high chair after nursing when the rest of you are eating, and put small soft pieces of whatever you're having on her tray. Let her feed herself. You may have to cut solids out all together for a few days and nurse to build your supply back up. Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has new calories than solids, particularly jarred food, which contains a lot of water. Google "baby-led solids" and check kellymom.com for information also.
Tillymommie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Imo, thats way too much solids for a 6 month old. I bet if you cut back to only one meal of solids after she nursea you will find her nursing increases.

I thought that too. And believe me I have tried. She threw a ungodly fit. She would not nurse at all, wouldn't even take BM from a bottle that day. I even tried just giving her 2 oz at each feeding. Yeah didn't go over well.

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand? ~The Crow

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, you may have to deal with the fita for a while until she understands that she must nurse well before havinf them.

Quoting Tillymommie:

Quoting Precious333:

I thought that too. And believe me I have tried. She threw a ungodly fit. She would not nurse at all, wouldn't even take BM from a bottle that day. I even tried just giving her 2 oz at each feeding. Yeah didn't go over well.

Tillymommie
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM

She is nursing but only for very short periods. Heck for all I know she is getting a ton of bm out in those 5 minutes. I should clarify that the 4oz of cereal is made with BM. I pump it while I am nursing that first half hour every morning.

I have actually replace the babyfood with soft foods to let her feed herself and and she likes that but she still eats a ton and table food doesn't always set well with her. My supply seems fine, but since I started working Prn at a school I pump WHILE I nurse her. I only get about an OZ each time but from my understanding an OZ is pretty normal.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

That's a lot of solids for her age. Breastmilk should be the major source of her food for the first year. No solids unless she nurses first. Solids are for fun only during the first year. Cereal is actually hard to digest at this age, babies llack the enzymes necessary to fully digest grain products.

Seat her in her high chair after nursing when the rest of you are eating, and put small soft pieces of whatever you're having on her tray. Let her feed herself. You may have to cut solids out all together for a few days and nurse to build your supply back up. Ounce for ounce, breastmilk has new calories than solids, particularly jarred food, which contains a lot of water. Google "baby-led solids" and check kellymom.com for information also.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Way too many solids. And no solids until a FULL nursing. Baby doesn't like it, it's really too bad. She NEEDS your milk, she doesn't NEED solids. And cereal is yucky, give her real food. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:01 PM
You will have to tough it out with her for a couple of days--ultimately she will not let herself starve. Try nursing in a dark quiet room, maybe when she's a bit sleepy, lying down if you can. Thistle happened yo me with my first. I took a nursing holiday and my supply was back in a couple pd data.
Nolanzo
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Agree with PP... you've allowed her to have a preference. Now you must revert back to prioritizing nursing over solids sessions. Skip the morning cereal altogether.... at nine AM, after '5 minutes of nursing', put her down to play or whatever else she normally would do but forego the food. She'll get hungry, and if she's hungry enough, she'll nurse. Pretend you never started cereal in the first place... within a day or two, she'll go back to nursing fully and forget to rely on cereal to fill her up.

She WILL protest, but you must realize that she should still be getting ALL her nutrients from your BM, not solids. Make it a priority again.

Good luck to you =)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 29, 2013 at 1:08 PM

OP, try not to get discouraged. I promise she wil not starve if you cut out solids for a while. She may be mad for a few days, but she will not starve. You can do it, give it a few days of only nursing, because solids are meant to be her source of nutrition, you don't want her filling up on solids (especially cereals) because they just dont have the nutriance a baby needs while they are still growing. When you do start adding solids, try and stick to only one meal. The purpose of solids at that age are only to get baby use to taste and textures.

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)