Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Solids

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 14 Replies
So I had a question about it. How much are they suppose to get a day at 8 months?

My child is only 6 weeks right now and I don't want to introduce solids until he is 8 months but I read he posts in here and it's really confusing. I refuse to do baby led solids. There is a video of a little baby( like 6 months) with chicken leg and ripping off a good size piece and swallowing it whole. Talk about choking hazard and not right. *****please don't try to change my mind I don't want to do it**** it doesn't make me bad for not wanting to. It makes u bad for trying to push your beliefs on me when I'm no doing anything wrong.

Thanks ladies
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I do baby led solids and would never hand my 1 year old a whole chicken leg either. I pull the chicken off, shred it into smaller pieces and give it to him. I also cut his fruits and vegtables into smaller pieces. Everyone does it a little bit different. 

That being said solids aren't needed before a year so as long as he nurses first, whatever solids he eats is fine. 

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
9 moms liked this
Lol, such an offensive way to ask people to help you, kinda makes me want to ignore the post.

The answer is: as much as baby will eat IMMEDIATELY after a full nursing session. For some babies that's a bite once a week, for others it's a couple tiny meals a day. If you notice baby is nursing less or refusing to nurse, it's too much and time to back off for awhile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Doesn't matter how much they get as long as they are fully nursed before every  solid they are given. If the baby starts refusing nursing then you're giving too much & need to back off. If baby refuses nursing they don't get solids.

BabyFruit Ticker

melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting larissalarie:

Lol, such an offensive way to ask people to help you, kinda makes me want to ignore the post.

The answer is: as much as baby will eat IMMEDIATELY after a full nursing session. For some babies that's a bite once a week, for others it's a couple tiny meals a day. If you notice baby is nursing less or refusing to nurse, it's too much and time to back off for awhile.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this
Lololol at the chicken bone. Only an idiot would give a baby a whole chicken leg. That's like saying people who use cloth diapers just pin loin cloths on their babies and they run around like Tarzan. That's a ridiculous assumption, as is thinking that baby led solids means giving a baby a chicken bone. Baby led solids teaches kids to feed themselves independently, but obviously within reason. Bites of chicken big enough to chew but not a whole damn chicken leg for goodness sake. Smh.
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Lol @ the image of a child ripping apart a chicken leg! That isn't really baby led solids but it is a comical image!

Just do what the others said. Nurse before offering solids and you should be good to go. I like to start out with small chunks of avocado (I skip purées because, well, no need for them really) and then move on to what we are eating - soft veggies and fruit, small pieces of meat, whatever it is that goes with our meals.
newmom121812
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Then you should have ignored it. It offensive when someone trys pushing their beliefs on someone then telling then there bad for not doing what they say. This group does that ALOT. it's not right for everyone and I was making that clear upfront.

But thank you for your advice. It helps

Quoting larissalarie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newmom121812
by Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:46 PM
I know bls isn't like that and I would never do this but idk I'm paranoid my kid would choke so that's the end of that and I don't look down on people who do it they are stronger then me

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Lololol at the chicken bone. Only an idiot would give a baby a whole chicken leg. That's like saying people who use cloth diapers just pin loin cloths on their babies and they run around like Tarzan. That's a ridiculous assumption, as is thinking that baby led solids means giving a baby a chicken bone. Baby led solids teaches kids to feed themselves independently, but obviously within reason. Bites of chicken big enough to chew but not a whole damn chicken leg for goodness sake. Smh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Duquesne
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously.

Quoting larissalarie:

sleepymommy87
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd be more paranoid of my kid choking by being forcefed something from a spoon that she has no control over... Just saying.

Quoting newmom121812:

I know bls isn't like that and I would never do this but idk I'm paranoid my kid would choke so that's the end of that and I don't look down on people who do it they are stronger then me

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN