Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

So scared right now *Update*

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM
  • 27 Replies
The LC just called me asking about Abby has been doing today. She asked me if there were any concerns, and I brought up the posterior tongue tie. She said that she or the pedi would write a referral for an ENT. After I told her about how she couldn't quite work the nipple on the bottle, she was definitely more concerned about it. She's anxious to study her again tomorrow to look at her tongue movements better. Hopefully she's gained the two ounces she wanted to see.

***Thank you all for your great advice. To those who suggested I switch peds and LC, I actually just switched to them. I am very happy with the practice I chose, and they are far better than the one I left. I have never dealt with an LC before, but she does agree that there is a tongue tie issue. I'm just going to be more persistent about clipping her tongue when I go back on Thursday. Oh, and I was rather upset and crying, so I misheard the doctor when she said she needed to be 13 lbs. She was saying Abby was in the 13th percentile. Thank goodness for having other people with me who actually paid full attention lol. Thanks again, everyone! :)*****

I took my daughter to her two month check up this morning. I'm so glad I went ahead and switched the kid's pediatrician this month, because I'm sure my experience today wouldn't have been the same at their old crappy doctor.

So I really love breastfeeding, and I want to do anything I can to be able to continue doing so. My little girl *should* be around 13 lbs. She only weighs 8 lbs 12 oz. Clearly something is wrong. The pediatrician has an IBCLC on staff, and she came in there to see what was going on. Abby isn't tongue tied to the point where anything needs to be done, and she's definitely gota beautiful suction. My supply is definitely there. So they ran tests to see if just maybe there's an underlying medical reasoning as to WHY she's not gaining. One thing the LC wasn't concerned about is the fact that babies who aren't benefiting from breastfeeding (or formula) are typically weaklings. Abby is only two months old and she already tries to sit up on her own. She has amazing head control. She's VERY strong. So that's not something she's worried about.

She gave me the office pump to use for the next two days, basically telling me to pump every two hours, BF her, and if necessary, give formula to total 3 oz with the pumped milk. When I come back on Thursday, we're going to look at the results from the blood tests taken from today. Not that I would wish anything on my daughter, but I kind of hope we at least find an answer. Oh, and if she hasn't gained enough (which a weight wasn't actually ever discussed), then the hospital might be the next answer. I definitely don't my baby being in the hospital for failure to thrive. I don't care what I have to do to help my baby gain weight. What do y'all suggest?

I should mention that she is in the grazing stage where she eats all the time. I squeeze milk out every time before I feed her, so i know there is milk in there. Her diaper output is great - she usually goes at least five to seven times a day, her poop is the beautiful yellow (and runny) poop it's supposed to be. So I know she's getting the milk. The LC thinks she's possibly burning too many calories sucking when I don't take her off right away. When I do take her off, my nipple is the perfect shape of a baby who was sucking. I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning, I'm taking fenugreek (just started back today), and I drink more water than most do in a week. One of my friends mentioned brewers yeast to make my milk heartier, but I don't have money for that until Friday.

What else can I possibly do?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:26 PM
You need a second opinion on a possible tongue tie/lip tie/posterior tongue tie
aydensXmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:32 PM
She did say that there was a tongue tie, but not to the point where she would have it clipped. I'll ask about it again on Thursday.

Quoting melindabelcher:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:33 PM
What is the complete weight history?
aydensXmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Birth: 8.3
Discharge: 7.10
One week: 7.3
Two weeks: 7.9
Six weeks: 8.3
Nine weeks (today): 8.12

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

What is the complete weight history?
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:41 PM

You need to get a 2nd opinion on the tongue tie ASAP! There is no way to make your milk heartier, so don't bother with that. The information the LC gave you about taking her off is crap. I'm sorry but it is. Leave baby on the breast until she comes off, burp if you do, and offer the other breast. You should never be taking her off. Her weight is a little low for sure and I would bet money it's because of the tongue tie. 

ETA: she shouldn't be 13lbs. She should've gained 2lbs from lowest weight. 

Paradys
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:42 PM
AN'T tongue tie should be clipped and if diapers are good, milestones are good, and she's not losing weight then why are they worrying you?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Maybe i missed something but are you sure she just isnt going to be a small child ? My 2 year old is only 22 pounds and she been the same size for a 6+ months an they nor I are worried because she eat.\/drinks and nurses fine.

Not being rude jsut asking because some kids are smaller then other an grow slower lol

aydensXmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:01 PM
I almost betting she is going to be a slow weight gainer. My son was the same way. I think she will be small but tall. She was 22" at birth. My son was in newborn clothes for about four months, and he's perfect healthy at 2.5 years. I'm wondering if she'll be the same way.

Quoting MrsRinehart2010:

Maybe i missed something but are you sure she just isnt going to be a small child ? My 2 year old is only 22 pounds and she been the same size for a 6+ months an they nor I are worried because she eat.\/drinks and nurses fine.

Not being rude jsut asking because some kids are smaller then other an grow slower lol

aydensXmommy
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:16 PM
She mentioned posterior, i believe.

Quoting Paradys:

AN'T tongue tie should be clipped and if diapers are good, milestones are good, and she's not losing weight then why are they worrying you?!
sissy852
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM
yes ask about it again. Because they wont clip it until the baby is 3 mo

Quoting aydensXmommy:

She did say that there was a tongue tie, but not to the point where she would have it clipped. I'll ask about it again on Thursday.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN