Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

7 month old waking hourly :/

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM
  • 25 Replies

Please help me.  :)

My 7 month old started waking up really frequently about a month ago wanting to nurse.  She went from waking about 3 times between 8pm and 8am (about every 3 hours) to waking every two hours, and sometimes less.  I was thinking, "Ok, 6 month growth spurt or something, this will pass,"  but it continues to get worse!  She is now waking hourly and will not go back to sleep unless I nurse her.  The only time she really sleeps for any extended period of time at night is one stretch between about 3:30am and 7am.  Is there any way to reverse this?

I have tried restricting how much she sleeps during the day, feeding her more solids, including solids just before bed, banana before bed (supposedly banana makes you feel full longer), and nothing has worked.

Any thoughts?  Ideas?  ....Sympathy? (LOL) What would you do?

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I'll give you some sympathy! My first woke every hr for the first 6 months :/

Some suggestions:

- How often is she nursing during the day? If she's not nursing enough, she will make up for it at night. At this age, babies can become very distracted. Try to offer the breast more frequently during the day. 

- Perhaps she is getting too much solids. Do you nurse a full meal immediately before offering solids? This enables your baby to get adequate nutrition and calories, as solids are less nutritious and caloric than breastmilk. Solids are not necessary at this age and are just for fun/practice. I'd cut soilds before bedtime. Some babies have trouble digesting solids and this can keep them up at night and cause them to wake more.

- You could try and "tank her up" with breastmilk before bedtime by offering and allowing as much time at the breast as possible the couple hours before bed. This may help her sleep better. 

- A baby that naps well generally sleeps better at night. You may have heard of the phrase "sleep begets sleep". Don't restrict naps or sleep during the day. It may be helpful to restrict an early evening nap, but make sure she is getting adequate rest during the day. 

Know that this, too, shall pass. It's tough, but you'll get through it. Good luck!

asaffell
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:15 AM

Normal phase for older infants. There's not a lot you can do other than encouraging sleep. Solids can actually make them wake more and bananas are full of sugar. Just do what you can in the meantime and it will be over soon.

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Thankyou! (And I can't image 6 months worth of waking every hour!) I will definitely try some of that, I am willing to try anything at this point, LOL  :)  

I have wondered if maybe offering more frequently during the day would help.  She does go longer between feedings during the day than she does at night (usually every 3 hours or so).  

I don't think she is getting too much solids.  She only eats a few bites of finger foods for lunch, and about 3-4 tablespoons of purees for dinner.  Maybe I will try giving her her main meal at lunch instead of dinner.  The before-bed meals were just for a couple nights to see if it would work, and it didn't.

I let her nurse for as long as she wants each time she nurses, day or night.  One night I got the wild idea to try giving her a bottle of pumped milk after nursing and just before bedtime to see if it would fill her up...she hates bottles though, so that was a flop.

I stopped the restricting sleep bit too, that just made for a cranky baby and mommy, LOL.  

Quoting littlelambe2:

Some suggestions:

- How often is she nursing during the day? If she's not nursing enough, she will make up for it at night. At this age, babies can become very distracted. Try to offer the breast more frequently during the day. 

- Perhaps she is getting too much solids. Do you nurse a full meal immediately before offering solids? This enables your baby to get adequate nutrition and calories, as solids are less nutritious and caloric than breastmilk. Solids are not necessary at this age and are just for fun/practice. I'd cut soilds before bedtime. Some babies have trouble digesting solids and this can keep them up at night and cause them to wake more.

- You could try and "tank her up" with breastmilk before bedtime by offering and allowing as much time at the breast as possible the couple hours before bed. This may help her sleep better. 

- A baby that naps well generally sleeps better at night. You may have heard of the phrase "sleep begets sleep". Don't restrict naps or sleep during the day. It may be helpful to restrict an early evening nap, but make sure she is getting adequate rest during the day. 

Know that this, too, shall pass. It's tough, but you'll get through it. Good luck!

TonyaLea
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Quoting asaffell:

Normal phase for older infants. There's not a lot you can do other than encouraging sleep. Solids can actually make them wake more and bananas are full of sugar. Just do what you can in the meantime and it will be over soon.

The sugar thing did occur to me, but one of the moms in my due date group said she read it online and it worked wonders for her.  I remember reading once in an article on dieting about how just the smell of bananans triggers our brains to feel full...I figured it was worth a try, but it was useless for us.

littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:53 AM

Offering more during the day really helped us. Dd was waking every hour to nurse, but going 2-3 hrs between feelings during the day. Offering more during the day helped her sleep longer stretches at night. Hope you find ways to make it better :)

Quoting TonyaLea:

Thankyou! (And I can't image 6 months worth of waking every hour!) I will definitely try some of that, I am willing to try anything at this point, LOL  :)  

I have wondered if maybe offering more frequently during the day would help.  She does go longer between feedings during the day than she does at night (usually every 3 hours or so).  

I don't think she isn't getting too much solids.  She only eats a few bites of finger foods for lunch, and about 3-4 tablespoons of purees for dinner.  Maybe I will try giving her her main meal at lunch instead of dinner.  The before-bed meals were just for a couple nights to see if it would work, and it didn't.

I let her nurse for as long as she wants each time she nurses, day or night.  One night I got the wild idea to try giving her a bottle of pumped milk after nursing and just before bedtime to see if it would fill her up...she hates bottles though, so that was a flop.

I stopped the restricting sleep bit too, that just made for a cranky baby and mommy, LOL.  

Quoting littlelambe2:

Some suggestions:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Definitely offer more during the day... this can be a "too busy to nurse" time and then they make up for it at night.    It can also just be teething or separation anxiety.   My 7 mo old JUST went back to sleeping a little bit better (thank goodness!).  

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM
We started what I called a marathon cluster feed around that age. Dd would literally be attached from 5-7pm. It seemed to help but around 9 months she did her sleep regression and was up every 90 min :( all I can say is offer breast as much as you can during waking hours, and put yourself in survival mode find a way for you to nap during the day when baby does, or if you're like me and working, as soon as you get home. If not try going to bed earlier. Not gonna lie I was almost always out by 8-8:30 at that stage (and up at 7).

Good luck mama!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Nurse more frequently during the day.  Often babies that age get interested in the world around them so they aren't nursing as much during the day and then they need to make up for those lost ounces at night.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Excellent advice!! :)

Quoting littlelambe2:

Some suggestions:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

btw, my ds woke every 30-45 minutes most nights from 5-10 months when I finally figured out the nurse more during the day trick.  Zombie mom doesn't even begin to describe me then.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)