Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

37 weeks pregnant with first. Question!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM
  • 11 Replies
I'm currently taking hydroxazine and or Benadryl. I've had a pregnancy rash on my belly which I suspect is a mild case of PUPPS. I've heard that antihistamines can dry someone's milk supply up. Should I stop taking the antihistamines now so I can ensure I'll have a good supply? I'm really hoping to exclusively breastfeed and starting to worry about little things! Thanks for responses in advance!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:47 AM
I've heard that benadryl is entirely fine while breastfeeding. It's decongestants that you have to be wary of. Anywho... if you are ever worried about a medicine always check ot on lactmed.com or Dr. Hales hotline.... i'm sure one if the other ladies will have the number. Dictors do not know what is safe do instead of looking it up they'll just tell yoi the easy answer.... wean. Which in most cases is entirely unnecessary so check these resources even for drugs that a doctor tells you is unsafe/safe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Antihistamines are typically fine.  It's decongestants that you need to worry about.  Continue as you are--hope your delivery goes well!

shoot4thestars
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I took Benadryl throughout my pregnanacy and it I started lactating a few weeks before I gave birth.  It didn't affect my supply.  I haven't taken any since my son was born though, so I don't know if it'll affect it after birth.

Paradys
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:15 AM
No need to worry, you don't have a supply to worry about until you start breastfeeding.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM
This is true. Right now you may or may not be producing colostrum. And after you deliver the placenta, the cascade of hormones leading to milk production begins.

Quoting Paradys:

No need to worry, you don't have a supply to worry about until you start breastfeeding.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Astrachanca
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Thank you! I'll see about stopping it after delivery. Hopefully this darn rash goes away quickly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
arigdon4
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

bump

Journeysmama11
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I had PUPPS this last pregnancy and nothing I took helped anyways so I just bit the bullet and luckily I delivered the day I turned 38 weeks! Those last 2 to 3 weeks were itchy tho! Do you know what you are having? I had a boy and apparently PUPPS is more common when you are pregnant with a boy! lol! Congrats on your first by the way!

Astrachanca
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:51 PM
It's a boy! Yeah I've read that it's more common with first and boys. I don't have any stretch marks... Yet. I haven't gotten an actual diagnosis, but it definitely seems like PUPPS. I'm lucky it's only on my belly. I've tried a few things to help it, but not much works. The hydroxazine is basically just to help me sleep through it at night lol.

Thank you! I hope he comes next week sometime! :)

Quoting Journeysmama11:

I had PUPPS this last pregnancy and nothing I took helped anyways so I just bit the bullet and luckily I delivered the day I turned 38 weeks! Those last 2 to 3 weeks were itchy tho! Do you know what you are having? I had a boy and apparently PUPPS is more common when you are pregnant with a boy! lol! Congrats on your first by the way!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

For temorary relief I did put really cold lotion on and keep my shirt up. I'd just walk around with my tank top pulled up. Plus it was summer so it was super hot! :/ Mine didn't spread anywhere other than my belly. But this was my second. And they are only 15 months apart. I DID/DO have stretch marks tho... :(  Hopefully he comes soon! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)