Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question about night weaning

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 16 Replies

Are babies supposed to be night weaned by the time they are 1 years old?

I heard somewhere that they are.

Or is this just a perference for moms?

Or is it something that they wean themselves off of during the night?

If this is something that I'm suppose to then I have only 5 months to prepare myself for this.

I'd rather not do it if I don't have to but if it's a common thing to do then let me know so i can start researching this on how to do it the proper way.

Thanks!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:34 AM
I personally never made any efforts to night wean my 4 babies before they were 18 months. They are still so little at a year!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
You don't ever have to night wean if you don't want to. I promise you that the day will come when the baby sleeps without nursing.

As far as "what you're supposed to do", there is no developmental rule about this. Some pediatricians get bent out of shape that a 3 month old is still night nursing, while others respect a baby's routine, even well beyond a year. But don't do something that feels wrong for you and your baby because someone else says you're "supposed to". I don't think night nursing is a "bad habit" at all and have never read anything that proved babies who nursed through the night grew up to be "bad sleepers".
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM
If you *want* to night wean after a year, read advice on www.drjaygordon. ;-)
kona211
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I nurse my 13 month old throughout the night and have no intention to night wean her. She will decide when she is ready. Don't do something unless it feels right for you and your baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Not BY 12 months, but some people nightwean after 12 months (it's not recommended before then because babies depend so much on milk for the first year).  You don't need to nightwean at 12 months, or ever, if you don't want to.  We did it here at 20 months when my little guy was able to understand that boobies were going night night.  I nightweaned him then because I was a zombie and needed some sleep--purely selfish on my part.  Many moms continue to nurse through the night for the second and third years.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Never limit feedings until baby is over a year old. With that said, if you *want* to night wean after he's a year old, you absolutely can. Alot of moms do, alot don't. My 22 month old will sometimes wake maybe once or twice a night for a quick nursing, doesn't bother me since I usually sleep through it lol. Do what you want to do mama, just know that it's definitely not a requirement. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM
THIS!!!
You do NOT have to change a thing unless you want to. Don't do anything until at least a year if you decide that you want to night wean. I WANTED to night wean my younger son, but never did because I knew that he wasn't ready. He finally stopped nursing as frequently at night and now sleeps all night except to get an occasional sip of water.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

You don't ever have to night wean if you don't want to. I promise you that the day will come when the baby sleeps without nursing.

As far as "what you're supposed to do", there is no developmental rule about this. Some pediatricians get bent out of shape that a 3 month old is still night nursing, while others respect a baby's routine, even well beyond a year. But don't do something that feels wrong for you and your baby because someone else says you're "supposed to". I don't think night nursing is a "bad habit" at all and have never read anything that proved babies who nursed through the night grew up to be "bad sleepers".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:43 PM
As all the other ladies said, you don't have to night wean, ever.. I waited it out. My girls both did it on their own at 19 months each.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Mary's comment just reminded me about Sarah's (Gruntlings) wait it out Facebook group. It is full of great information and support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
There are no rules that you have to follow besides keeping your kids safe healthy and relatively happy. I don't plan on night weaning, but he only cosleeps a few hours a night. He is eleven months and has been coming into bed with us when he wakes up in the early morning since he started going on his own bed at five or six months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)