Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HS refusing to allow teen mom to continue breast feeding

Posted by   + Show Post
Have you seen this? Sorry mobile.

http://www.mommatraumablog.com/1/post/2013/01/delaware-teen-mom-denied-breastfeeding-accommodations.html
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I think they are back peddling with the huge response they received. Plus those teen mom programs aren't always that great (that's my experience), and from what I read academics are important to her.

Quoting JMmama:

I just read a response from the school and it sounds to me like the school, while they don't have a room specifically for pumping, would find a space for her to pump in and she would need to bring a small cooler to store her breastmilk in. Which seems reasonable to me.

It also said that there is a program where students are allowed to have their babies with them at school, breastfeed whenever they need to and still go to class. It sounds like she opted out of that program in order to return to her regular high school.
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM
They may be back pedaling. What is important is that she gets a place and a time to pump. If the school does a little back pedaling to make it happen... Eh... Maybe the next time it won't be such an issue.

The alternative program may not be great. I really have no idea. I'm glad this girl is breastfeeding and I am glad that breastfeeding is important to her. She should be supported in both aspects. But, I don't think it is reasonable for her to expect to get all of the benefits of an alternative program while attending a mainstream program.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

I think they are back peddling with the huge response they received. Plus those teen mom programs aren't always that great (that's my experience), and from what I read academics are important to her.

Quoting JMmama:

I just read a response from the school and it sounds to me like the school, while they don't have a room specifically for pumping, would find a space for her to pump in and she would need to bring a small cooler to store her breastmilk in. Which seems reasonable to me.

It also said that there is a program where students are allowed to have their babies with them at school, breastfeed whenever they need to and still go to class. It sounds like she opted out of that program in order to return to her regular high school.
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this
The site wont work on my phone so i don't know what it says but my feelings are that a HS shouldn't have to do anything because HS students shouldn't have sex or babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmericanChild82
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I nursed my daughter and when I couldn't I pumped. The day care she was in had a fridge just for us nursing high school mommies. I think it's such crap they won't allow her to nurse or pump for her son even though state law mandates it.

LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:37 PM
This is what the superintendent posted:

"We have no specially designed room for that purpose but we would do our best to accommodate that student’s request. The student would be responsible for providing her own cooler for storage. Any refrigerators in school are in use for other purposes. To use them to also store a student’s pumped breast milk would risk contamination.

Our teen moms have access to the DAPI program in Camden which is specifically designed to support pregnant teens. There they can take their classes, take their baby with them, breast feed and pump whenever necessary. A student who chooses to leave that environment and return to regular school also chooses to leave behind a certain level of support."

http://spartansuper.blogspot.com/2013/01/breast-feeding-at-school.html
LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM
2 moms liked this
However what's done is done and the baby deserves the same chance any other baby does.

Quoting Kimbyann:

The site wont work on my phone so i don't know what it says but my feelings are that a HS shouldn't have to do anything because HS students shouldn't have sex or babies.
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:01 PM
And the comments mentioned an alternative school. If her school work is more important than her baby then let her baby be with parents who put baby first

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

However what's done is done and the baby deserves the same chance any other baby does.

Quoting Kimbyann:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha you make no sense. A teen made a mistake, is trying to get the best education possible AND provide the best nutrition she can to her child and there is something wrong here? I see horrible trash on CM daily but somehow feel this girl is being judged on her age vs her parenting skills thus far that surpass MANY.

Quoting Kimbyann:

And the comments mentioned an alternative school. If her school work is more important than her baby then let her baby be with parents who put baby first

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Quoting Kimbyann:

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Kimbyann:

Teenagers shouldn't have sex, but they do. Every day. All day. Every year. And some even manage to get pregnant.
If this was a teacher that needed a place to pump for her baby, she would have gotten it. How should that be any different for a teenager that wants to do the same thing for her child?
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
Okay and if she misses those 15mins of class is it still going to be treated as an absent? Is she going to stay after school to make up the work?

Quoting Junebaby18:

Quoting Kimbyann:

Teenagers shouldn't have sex, but they do. Every day. All day. Every year. And some even manage to get pregnant.

If this was a teacher that needed a place to pump for her baby, she would have gotten it. How should that be any different for a teenager that wants to do the same thing for her child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN