Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HS refusing to allow teen mom to continue breast feeding

Posted by   + Show Post
Have you seen this? Sorry mobile.

http://www.mommatraumablog.com/1/post/2013/01/delaware-teen-mom-denied-breastfeeding-accommodations.html
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:16 PM
That's called ignoring the problem ;)

Quoting Kimbyann:

I hate the fact that you can't seem to go against the groups opinions on these things or you seem like a bad person. Its my opinion that teens shouldn't have sex. That's that. You don't have to agree. But an alternative school IS an accommodation.
DragonMother10
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM
That's outrageous! I think it's discrimination. At least this young lady is continuing her education. I wonder if they have a special school for teen moms. They have at least one that I know of in my city.
TiffanyMarie80
by Tiffany on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

On one hand, I completely agree that teens should NOT be having sex. . . and as a teen who chose to wait, I know it's possible  ;) There needs to be more support and encouragement that leads to that choice.

On the other hand, Once a teen has had sex and is pregnant, they still need support.  A bad decision has consequenses, yes, but that doesn't mean that we (society) shouldn't STILL offer support and encouragement to teen parents who are trying to make the best of the situation - trying to get an education while still giving their baby the best nutrition should be applauded, not hindered.

Of course, the fact remains that this school HAS provided options, like the alternative school, that this particular teen mom did not like.  Because she is choosing to go back to a mainstream school, there are going to be more difficulties for her - that school is not set up to handle breastfeeding and pumping breaks in the same way that the alternative school is, and when the alternative school is already an option, I don't think the mainstream school should have to make a whole lot of special accomadations for this one student.  It goes back to every decision has a consequence - choosing not to go to the alternative school may be what's best for her academically, but it's going to be more difficult to pump and store milk for her baby. 

Quoting Kimbyann:

I hate the fact that you can't seem to go against the groups opinions on these things or you seem like a bad person. Its my opinion that teens shouldn't have sex. That's that. You don't have to agree. But an alternative school IS an accommodation.

big_red05
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Well it's a bad situation for All.. Sure they have an alternative school probably because they don't want to sensationalize teen pregnancy so they try to keep it out of sight out of mind.. But I am willing to bet those programs are crap and she wants better for herself.. And in that She is facing issues with the school.. I feel for her if I had gotten knocked up in high school finding a place to bf in school would have been the least of my issues
Kimbyann
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM
That's what I was trying to say. Thank you for wording it better.

Dh and I waited til we were married which happened to be 19 and 29 yes old and WE are the ones seen as freaks

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

On one hand, I completely agree that teens should NOT be having sex. . . and as a teen who chose to wait, I know it's possible  ;) There needs to be more support and encouragement that leads to that choice.

On the other hand, Once a teen has had sex and is pregnant, they still need support.  A bad decision has consequenses, yes, but that doesn't mean that we (society) shouldn't STILL offer support and encouragement to teen parents who are trying to make the best of the situation - trying to get an education while still giving their baby the best nutrition should be applauded, not hindered.

Of course, the fact remains that this school HAS provided options, like the alternative school, that this particular teen mom did not like.  Because she is choosing to go back to a mainstream school, there are going to be more difficulties for her - that school is not set up to handle breastfeeding and pumping breaks in the same way that the alternative school is, and when the alternative school is already an option, I don't think the mainstream school should have to make a whole lot of special accomadations for this one student.  It goes back to every decision has a consequence - choosing not to go to the alternative school may be what's best for her academically, but it's going to be more difficult to pump and store milk for her baby. 

Quoting Kimbyann:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Quoting Kimbyann:

I was 18 when I got married, and still technically a teenager. Should I have waited 2 years to have had sex with my husband? I think not.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Same here.

Quoting maggiandmike:

Crazy. Here in my area, we have a school for teen moms that both the child and mother attend for up to two years. So these mothers are accommodated to nurse. Why can't there also be this kind of program everywhere?

maggiandmike
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Like two hours away from her, more regional than local.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Us too . Do they not have one

Quoting maggiandmike:

Crazy. Here in my area, we have a school for teen moms that both the child and mother attend for up to two years. So these mothers are accommodated to nurse. Why can't there also be this kind of program everywhere?
afwifeandmommy3
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM
That's terrible . I think every city should have one . They are good for the moms and babies

Quoting maggiandmike:

Like two hours away from her, more regional than local.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Us too . Do they not have one

Quoting maggiandmike:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizzieiguana
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad to see the baby is going to win in the end - it doesn't look like the child is going to allow the system to give her the run around. She is a great Mama in advocating for her baby. And GO LA LECHE LEAGUE! 

Glad you posted this. Hope it gets more awareness for nursing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN