Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HS refusing to allow teen mom to continue breast feeding

Posted by   + Show Post
Have you seen this? Sorry mobile.

http://www.mommatraumablog.com/1/post/2013/01/delaware-teen-mom-denied-breastfeeding-accommodations.html
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (41-46):
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM
This is one of those situations where I feel like there isn't a clear cut answer to the problem. I applaud this girl for wanting the best for her baby while not sacrificing her education. Unfortunately, we all have to make sacrifices for our children. I feel that because there is an alternative school option that, technically her needs are being met when it comes to breastfeeding. But if that alternative program is lacking in education then she should be able to attend her regular high school but in doing so she will either have to sacrifice chunks of time out of the classroom which could affect her grade or sacrifice time to pump.

School is so different than a normal job. She would be missing 15-20 minutes of a class EVERY SINGLE DAY. For my high school that would be almost half of the class time. There is much to miss in that short period. It would put a strain on her teachers to accommodate her and make sure she heard the lecture or instruction that were given while she was pumping. I feel like that is unfair to the staff when there are other accommodations available to her that would already fill this need.

I'm a little up in the air on this issue. I absolutely feel she should have the right to feed her child the best but I don't feel that others should have to rearrange their teachings to accommodate her.
LoveOfWisdom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Any nursing teacher or staff member would need the same allotted time though. Most schools have two 10-15 minute breaks and a lunch. Seems like plenty of time to me. From what I understand the school is a good two hours away.

Quoting BridgetMc:

This is one of those situations where I feel like there isn't a clear cut answer to the problem. I applaud this girl for wanting the best for her baby while not sacrificing her education. Unfortunately, we all have to make sacrifices for our children. I feel that because there is an alternative school option that, technically her needs are being met when it comes to breastfeeding. But if that alternative program is lacking in education then she should be able to attend her regular high school but in doing so she will either have to sacrifice chunks of time out of the classroom which could affect her grade or sacrifice time to pump.

School is so different than a normal job. She would be missing 15-20 minutes of a class EVERY SINGLE DAY. For my high school that would be almost half of the class time. There is much to miss in that short period. It would put a strain on her teachers to accommodate her and make sure she heard the lecture or instruction that were given while she was pumping. I feel like that is unfair to the staff when there are other accommodations available to her that would already fill this need.

I'm a little up in the air on this issue. I absolutely feel she should have the right to feed her child the best but I don't feel that others should have to rearrange their teachings to accommodate her.
BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Two hours is forever away to attend school. No wonder she doesn't want to attend the alternative school.

If there were already breaks in place then I feel like the school was making a big deal out of nothing.

Quoting LoveOfWisdom:

Any nursing teacher or staff member would need the same allotted time though. Most schools have two 10-15 minute breaks and a lunch. Seems like plenty of time to me. From what I understand the school is a good two hours away.

Quoting BridgetMc:

twogirl91
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I saw it and was pissed, first of all it's hard to be a teen mom, second how many teen moms actually breastfeed? I am amazed that she has the courage to do what's best for her baby and go back to school and then they tell her she can't feed her baby. It makes me so angry.

conweis
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Um she can use a cooler and not all pumps are loud. My MiPump which isnt the greatest but it is small and quiet.

Duquesne
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:54 AM
The school is providing a private place for her to pump, time to do so and is working on getting a refrigerator to store pumped milk! Yay!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)