Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Edit/update My DH says I'm being irrational

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
  • 88 Replies
He thinks that I should start pumping and have a stash set in the freezer in case of an emergency.

I don't want to pump for at least 6 weeks or so and honestly I don't want our baby to ever take a bottle if he doesn't have to.

Our baby is only two weeks old and I've already had issues with having an oversupply of milk.

Edit: well first off let me say that once again you ladies rock!

I went to Kellymom as LLL websites and gathered a good bit of info. I explained to DH about oversupply and showed him one article about how having an oversupply can lead to colic. That was pretty much all it took to get DH to back off.

Turns out the only reason it came up was becuase he talked to his mom last night and she has all of a sudden become a breastfeeding "expert." She told him that I wasn't doing it right unless I was pumping becuase my milk could suddenly dry up. He told her I had an oversupply and she told him I needed to pump to make sure that it stayed that way becuase it will make DS fatter faster and since DS was "premature" he needed the extra milk.

Smh... DS wasn't born premature he was very healthy at 37.5 weeks!

Not to mention how wrong everything else she said was...

This was the same woman that insisted that I "did it wrong" when I have birth to my oldest becuase I had a third degree tear... No crazy woman he was nearly 10lbs!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Bump

Does anyone have any research that is on my side?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fallin4baby
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM
I was worried I wouldn't get s stash in the freezer fast enough, in case something happened. I pumped after every feeding (which brought my supply up) and I also pumped through night when dd slept through a feeding. I got a nice stash I was pleased with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eatyourveges
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM
This. I have almost 200oz in my deep freezer right now

Quoting Fallin4baby:

I was worried I wouldn't get s stash in the freezer fast enough, in case something happened. I pumped after every feeding (which brought my supply up) and I also pumped through night when dd slept through a feeding. I got a nice stash I was pleased with.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
The thing is I already have an oversupply.

I just don't see the need. I am always with my baby because I'm a SAHM

Quoting Fallin4baby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM
But why?

Quoting eatyourveges:

This. I have almost 200oz in my deep freezer right now

Quoting Fallin4baby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fallin4baby
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
You never know what could happen, nice to have a back up plan.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting Fallin4baby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
With over-supply already being an issue, you being a SAHM, and it being a bad idea to introduce bottles before 6+ weeks....no I wouldn't pump yet.
You can hand express to relieve fullness and store that, if YOU want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I just think it is too early to start pumping.

I want to wait until my supply is well established.

Quoting Fallin4baby:

You never know what could happen, nice to have a back up plan.

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting Fallin4baby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I think it's always a good idea to have some stashed just incase. You never know what could happen. Emergencies or a sudden decrease in supply. I had every intention of EBF my daughter but we got thrush so bad my supply decreased by a lot and I was in so much pain because we had it for WEEKS before the doctor caught it. by then I was barely pumping anything. And I was over producing at first! Plus you may not be thinking of it now but you WILL want to get out sometime. And your husband will want to spend some time with you too. And then you can give your sitter a bottle of breastmilk for baby! When we do this I pump in the car on the way to or from our date so I don't miss a "feeding/pumping"! Plus the more you remove from the breast it helps your body know to keep the amount being produced up! So it's a good idea to pump if baby skips a feeding or if you still have some after baby is done eating! :)

workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I'm starting to pump today. Baby is 3 months old. I wanted to wait too. Good luck when you start!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN