Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not so supportive Family

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
  • 9 Replies

I'm currently breastfeeding my 6 month old son. My husband and I live with my parents right now trying to save up some money. But my dad keeps asking when I'm starting formula. And my mom says all the time "just give him a bottle" if I need to go somewhere and I say he needs to come with me. I didn't set an amount of time I wanted to breastfeed till. I'm just celebrating every month/week/day we are still going! I LOVE breastfeeding and I have no intention of stopping anytime soon. But my parents and my husband keep asking when I'm going to stop and have made it clear they think it's weird to feed a baby that can walk and ask more 'milk'. I don't think it's weird at all. The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding up to two years. I don't know if we will still be breastfeeding then but if I am I don't have a problem with that. My husband has been supportive of breastfeeding but he isn't supportive of me discreetly feeding in public without a cover or breastfeeding past walking/talking. And I don't know how much longer we will be living here and I don't want to hear about how I need to stop all the time! I think maybe they just didn't think I'd make it this long? Idk. I've tried talking to them but they just don't agree. I'm feeling so discouraged for doing what I think is best for my son. :(

by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM
You know what is right for your baby, so let them see how strong you are by sticking to it! Kellymom.com is a wonderful resource for correct, factual information. Refer to it often and you'll have answers for them when they start pushing your buttons! You might want to look particularly at baby-led solids, since that's what they'll probably bring up next. Keep us posted!
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
((Hugs))i my MIL keeps checking my 7.5 month olds mouth for teeth because she thinks after he has a tooth we'll switch to formula and he'll FINALLY get to spend the night.... delusional. I undrrstand though. These ladies in here are my support.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mylilprincesses
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM
That's the same thing my family told me! If she can just walk up and pull.up my shirt its time to stop... ugh no.. I will decide when its time to stop if we make a year...
christineT79
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Whenever someone asks me when I'm gonna stop I always tell them "I want to make it one year just to avoid formula". That usually works. I plan on breastfeeding longer than 1 year but that answer usually shuts everyone up. I'm also trying to save money because I am now a SAHM & we are living off one income so most of my family & friends know that. I think when I say I want to make it to 1 year to avoid formula they assume it's because we are on a tight budget. If you pump & save some milk someone could eventually baby-sit & give baby a bottle, just not a bottle of formula. Just tell your family & hubby that they can bottle feed if they need to watch the baby but it will be breastmilk.

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Although no one ever gave me crap about my extended breastfeeding (essentially on demand till at least 2, then gentle weaning to a few key times per day), most research shows that the longer the baby breastfeeds, the better. This is true for cognitive development (the longer you nurse, the higher the IQ), obesity risk (decreases 4% per month), immune protection, jaw/face development etc.

Not to mention, your own risk of breast cancer decreases by 50% by breastfeeding till age 2.

The research will back you up everytime.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell them your doctor is thrilled with your success and healthy baby and you're wondering why they think less of you both.
Journeysmama11
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Thanks everyone! I do pump when I work which is only two to three days a week so he does occasionally have a bottle of breastmilk. We started him on some baby foods/cereal about a week ago because he would open his mouth for the food I was putting in mine! lol! They raised me the way they wanted to...I just don't want to be judged for the way I want to raise my kids! I just don't even have any friends who breastfeed. One friend has two kids and said it "freaked her out" so she never even attempted. My sister says it's not feasable and tells me to go out with my husband and she'll just give him formula(which we do go out, I just pump in the car). I know they judge me too. Since my sister says she won't breastfeed hardly at all if any when she has kids. I just feel bad for them, they don't know what they are missing out on. :/

Cartersmom101
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM
2 moms liked this

Say this "right. I guess when a three or four year old is able to ask for lunch or some water to drink we shouldn't give it to them either!" I HATE when people say if they can ask they're too old!!! It's so ignorant and backwards! Hmmmmm, milk made from a 2000 pound animal made to grow a 2000 pound animal or milk made by a human to grow a human????

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 6:03 PM
(((HUGS))) We're here and we'll support you! You know that you're doing what is right. Try not to let them get you down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)