Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pains

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM
  • 22 Replies
Breastfeedig starting to hurt. It hurts to where im grinding my teeth all throughout nursing. I get a sharp pain that makea me feel like ok of I poke my breast will it go away. Also is it ok to have baby nurse only on one breast and next feeding on the other. She nurses for about 20, 25 minutes. I think. I can feel milk through my breast. Im also fuller. Oh and she was 7 lbs 2 oz. Discharge weight is 6 lbs 6 oz. I gace her 15cc of formula (I regret it) because nurse aaid I was starving her because she refussd to lath on. I felt bad. I hate myself for it. I looked online and t said go by amount of diapers. She had 3 or 4 wet diapers. She was just tired. Nurse came and said I was starving her because she didnt eat for 6 diapers. She nursed for 5 seconds amd fell aslesp. She said I need give her formula. I saod no, hows that going help her nurse? She said if u don't feed her formila I will. She left. She came back later and said did I give her formula, I saod no shes nursing fine now she aaid give hed it evedy 2 hours, make her nurse, then give formula. I said no. She huffed. I told lactation consultant what she did amd how shw threatened me. Shes reportig her. She said. You did fine, im glad you didnt listen and stood yoir ground. Giving formula hurts your supply, not helps. I feel bad i gave her formula though :( oh, reason why she refused breast was the pacifier. When I threw it away she took to breast.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christineT79
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm glad you told the lactation consultant on her. Next time she bothers you about formula tell her to leave your room asap & you want a new nurse NOW! Then you report her yourself! Giving the baby formula is gonna make her too full to nurse & too sleepy to nurse, then she wont nurse for hours & your supply wont go up. Just keep offering the breast & stay skin to skin. Do not let anyone take that baby from you! I don't trust that nurse since she said she will give the formula. Keep that baby on your chest & whatever the nurses have to do they can do it in front of you.

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
No more bottle and no more pacifiers until she's mastered nursing. It's a learning process for both of you mama and giving her other things just confuses her.
Does the sharp pain last throughout the whole nursing session? And yes it's perfectly fine to alternate breasts for each feeding. I'm so sorry you were treated so horrible by the staff!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MalakbelLacuna
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Im sorry you were bullied by a stupid nurse. I mean stupid in the most literal sense.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I was pissed. She was bullying amd threatening me into using formula. She left for tests but he nurses that took her were ones that were ebf moms and said no formula. They said dont give in amd told other nurses do not feed baby. I heard them saying it to he others "no formula room 215 do not offer or suggest. Shes very strong and shes determine d to breastfeed." Hey checkex on me, helped latch amd more. My bfs grandma os giving me hell...

Quoting christineT79:

I'm glad you told the lactation consultant on her. Next time she bothers you about formula tell her to leave your room asap & you want a new nurse NOW! Then you report her yourself! Giving the baby formula is gonna make her too full to nurse & too sleepy to nurse, then she wont nurse for hours & your supply wont go up. Just keep offering the breast & stay skin to skin. Do not let anyone take that baby from you! I don't trust that nurse since she said she will give the formula. Keep that baby on your chest & whatever the nurses have to do they can do it in front of you.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM
I feel like bad mom for giving it to her. I , messed up her tummy :( Im not using any bottles or anything. The pain hurts only when she sucks. She has lot of aerola in her mouth. Idk what wromg.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

No more bottle and no more pacifiers until she's mastered nursing. It's a learning process for both of you mama and giving her other things just confuses her.
Does the sharp pain last throughout the whole nursing session? And yes it's perfectly fine to alternate breasts for each feeding. I'm so sorry you were treated so horrible by the staff!!

KelleyLitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM
That is rediculous!!! Being a nurse myself I HATE hearing stories like these. It gives us ALL a bad name. She has no business working with babies and should be severely reprimanded for essentially threatening you. Please report her and I am so sorry for your experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM
Thanks. Everything she said didnt make sense. How would giving formula make her nurse on me more?

Quoting MalakbelLacuna:

Im sorry you were bullied by a stupid nurse. I mean stupid in the most literal sense.

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:07 PM
I did. He lactation consultant i talk to I think she said she was former la leche league person. She said shes going to talk to her amd keep an eye on her. She said if I listened to her she would have ruined my supply.

Quoting KelleyLitty:

That is rediculous!!! Being a nurse myself I HATE hearing stories like these. It gives us ALL a bad name. She has no business working with babies and should be severely reprimanded for essentially threatening you. Please report her and I am so sorry for your experience.

KelleyLitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this
You are NOT a bad mom! You were bullied at a very vulnerable and sensitive time and it is unacceptable. Keep up the good work and tell that nurse she is NOT allowed back in your room!

Quoting mama-smurf:

I feel like bad mom for giving it to her. I , messed up her tummy :( Im not using any bottles or anything. The pain hurts only when she sucks. She has lot of aerola in her mouth. Idk what wromg.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
You are NOT a bad mom! You're doing a great job mama. And you know what? As long as she gets only breastmilk for the next few weeks, her virgin gut will repair. :)
If the pain is lasting throughout the whole feeding, then she may not be latching correctly. Try to get her mouth open as wide as possible, have your nipple pointing towards the roof of her mouth, and bring her to your breast and try to get as much in her mouth as you can. Try to have an IBCLC check her latch if it still keeps hurting and have her checked for lip and tongue ties too.
Youtube has some great videos on how to get a proper latch too! :)
Quoting mama-smurf:

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)