Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

work 12 hr shift

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
Anyone exclusively nurse an older infant and go back to work??? My son has just recently started using expressed milk in a cup during dinner (eats very little solids. Blw) how many times do I pump at work and what will help maximize my output ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
try4baby20
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I work nights as an RN he takes bottles while I'm gone...I'm gone from 5p-8a 3x a week I pump on my way at 6, 10p, 2a, and 630 so approx every 4 hours and I get 18-20oz he gets solids 2x a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
try4baby20
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Btw he's 8mo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Thank you. I also am a nurse. My son will b 10 months when I start work. And I have not been pumping often. So you pump every 4 hours? Does your son fall asleep easy without nursing? My son still nurses to sleep.

Quoting try4baby20:

Btw he's 8mo

tigerlily75
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM

I work 8 hrs and either nurse or pump every 3 hrs. 

try4baby20
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Hubby has a few rough nights lol my son still nurses to sleep also I went back when he was 4 mo he's been sleeping in his swing again but as soon as I'm home he nurses again

Quoting LLbaby143:

Thank you. I also am a nurse. My son will b 10 months when I start work. And I have not been pumping often. So you pump every 4 hours? Does your son fall asleep easy without nursing? My son still nurses to sleep.

Quoting try4baby20:

Btw he's 8mo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Did you try pumping well before going back to work? How'd u build ur supply after your milk regulated?

Quoting try4baby20:

Hubby has a few rough nights lol my son still nurses to sleep also I went back when he was 4 mo he's been sleeping in his swing again but as soon as I'm home he nurses again

Quoting LLbaby143:

Quoting try4baby20:

Btw he's 8mo

try4baby20
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Well I started pumping about a month b4 going back and first morning feed I would pump one side and nurse the other! I've had no prob pumping at work since I'm pumping q4 and he was nursing that much at home

Quoting LLbaby143:

Did you try pumping well before going back to work? How'd u build ur supply after your milk regulated?

Quoting try4baby20:

Quoting LLbaby143:

Quoting try4baby20:

Btw he's 8mo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM
I'm an X-ray tech, I work 12 hrs. I pump every three hours at work. I get about 3-4 oz every time.
eagerforbaby
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM
My baby is 6 months and will only sleep after nursing. They have no trouble getting her to sleep at daycare without it. It's amazing how different they act at daycare. I pump every 2-3 hours at work. My only tip for better response is breast compressions while pumping, and pump once a day on days off to maintain response. I also feed one side and pump the other in the morning.

Quoting LLbaby143:

Quoting try4baby20:

Btw he's 8mo

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 7:22 PM
This! It is amazing what babies will do for caregivers that they will NEVER do for us!
I agree with everything else here as well.

Quoting eagerforbaby:

My baby is 6 months and will only sleep after nursing. They have no trouble getting her to sleep at daycare without it. It's amazing how different they act at daycare. I pump every 2-3 hours at work. My only tip for better response is breast compressions while pumping, and pump once a day on days off to maintain response. I also feed one side and pump the other in the morning.

Quoting LLbaby143:

Quoting try4baby20:

Btw he's 8mo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)