Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
So I took the baby in for his wic renewal today since he just had his first birthday. We had a dr note for almond milk instead of cows milk because my oldest had a lactose intolerance and the dr was worried my youngest would have it too. Well long story short they could only give is lactose free milk or soy, so we took the lactose free. The "nutritionist" was telling me that almond milk doesn't have the fat that he needs, so I informed her that mostly he still gets breast milk, well only breast milk if I am home. She looked at me like I had three heads! She then proceeded to tell me that instead I should be pushing cheese and yogurt (he can eat those without problems) so that he gets the fat he needs. I just nodded and smiled but was thinking to myself how could an agency that is supposed to be so pro-breastfeeding have so little knowledge about it? Smh, good thing I know better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Yeah they do try to give the cheapest stuff possible, but it's nice having the help with the fresh fruits/veggies, eggs, milk etc. I try not to get the canned beans or anything like that because I can make my own that is better for you and tastes better too.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Yea, they seriously give THE CHEAPEST crap they have....except you can get REECES peanut butter (can you say full of sugar) out...

Quoting angellove1119:

Probably because almond milk is way more expensive than soy milk.

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Our WIC office supports my breastfeeding as long as we want! We just had our year check in, too.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome, I think some offices just have better educated staff than others, or I just got the one that didn't know what she was talking about. Either way I'm gonna keep nursing my baby. He didn't get to 27 pounds and 33 inches on formula, so my milk must have some good stuff in it lol.

Quoting aimhawk:

Our WIC office supports my breastfeeding as long as we want! We just had our year check in, too.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Sorry wic gave you bad advice.. :o( 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:34 PM

WOW, big boy! My guy is 20.5lbs and 30in.! I fear he is lactose intolerant and our pedi recommended lactose drops to put into the regular milk.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

That's awesome, I think some offices just have better educated staff than others, or I just got the one that didn't know what she was talking about. Either way I'm gonna keep nursing my baby. He didn't get to 27 pounds and 33 inches on formula, so my milk must have some good stuff in it lol.

Quoting aimhawk:

workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:35 PM

They IMO are not a pro breastfeeding organization at all!! They used to tell me all sorts of crazy stuff! I was thankful they were there when we needed help, but I never listened to most of their advice! Happy birthday to you baby :)

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Yeah he's huge lol. Never heard of lactose drops. What are they supposed to do?

Quoting aimhawk:

WOW, big boy! My guy is 20.5lbs and 30in.! I fear he is lactose intolerant and our pedi recommended lactose drops to put into the regular milk.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Quoting aimhawk:

workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Thats terrible!

Quoting LTryon:

A couple weeks ago when dd turned 1 the nutritionist told me I should have her weaned in 6 -8 weeks and completely on table foods. I told her she was crazy if she thought I was going to wean in the middle of cold and flu season. Dd does get solids/table food, but she's still primarily bf'd.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Thanks he turned one on the 11th. I never went to the for breastfeeding advice and they never tried to give me any really, until now. I was caught off guard when she said that, but just smiled and nodded and am going to do it my own way regardless lol.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

They IMO are not a pro breastfeeding organization at all!! They used to tell me all sorts of crazy stuff! I was thankful they were there when we needed help, but I never listened to most of their advice! Happy birthday to you baby :)

carole76
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:39 PM

They don't know what they are talking about, my children have always been in 10 to 20% for their weight, and my doctor says they are doing great, WIC wants me to feed them icecream and fatty food to add weight to them.  I stopped going, every time I would renew I would get more and more upset.  They have no idea what they are doing.  I breast feed and while during the first 12 months they were very helpful, but the nurses act like they are doctors and need to keep their opinions to theirselves.  My doctor was very upset some of they things they told me to do.  Sounds like you did the right thing, just smile and get out of there as soon as you can.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)