Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
So I took the baby in for his wic renewal today since he just had his first birthday. We had a dr note for almond milk instead of cows milk because my oldest had a lactose intolerance and the dr was worried my youngest would have it too. Well long story short they could only give is lactose free milk or soy, so we took the lactose free. The "nutritionist" was telling me that almond milk doesn't have the fat that he needs, so I informed her that mostly he still gets breast milk, well only breast milk if I am home. She looked at me like I had three heads! She then proceeded to tell me that instead I should be pushing cheese and yogurt (he can eat those without problems) so that he gets the fat he needs. I just nodded and smiled but was thinking to myself how could an agency that is supposed to be so pro-breastfeeding have so little knowledge about it? Smh, good thing I know better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
workoutmom2b1g
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Thats what I always did too. They used to harp on me about my oldest being short. Um, can you see me...I am only 5ft and pretty petite. So laughable! 

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Thanks he turned one on the 11th. I never went to the for breastfeeding advice and they never tried to give me any really, until now. I was caught off guard when she said that, but just smiled and nodded and am going to do it my own way regardless lol.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

They IMO are not a pro breastfeeding organization at all!! They used to tell me all sorts of crazy stuff! I was thankful they were there when we needed help, but I never listened to most of their advice! Happy birthday to you baby :)

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Wow they told you to feed your young kids ice cream to gain weight?! They are supposed to be about healthy eating. There is a difference between putting on weight with healthy foods and putting on weight with crap foods. If your doctor wasn't worried then they should have kept their mouths shut. Obviously your kiddos are just on the small side. That would be like telling me I need to put my baby on a diet because he weighs too much. Doesn't make any sense.

Quoting carole76:

They don't know what they are talking about, my children have always been in 10 to 20% for their weight, and my doctor says they are doing great, WIC wants me to feed them icecream and fatty food to add weight to them.  I stopped going, every time I would renew I would get more and more upset.  They have no idea what they are doing.  I breast feed and while during the first 12 months they were very helpful, but the nurses act like they are doctors and need to keep their opinions to theirselves.  My doctor was very upset some of they things they told me to do.  Sounds like you did the right thing, just smile and get out of there as soon as you can.

court.0125
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Oh, okay! Cool! Good to know lol my son is 9 months

Quoting aehanrahan:

It stops at a year for the breastfeeding mom. It continues until 5 for the child.

Quoting court.0125:

Sorry that happened :( I thought WIC ended at a year?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM
It's funny that they think all kids should fit on their little graph perfectly regardless of what their parents look like. A kid with a petite mother isn't going to be the same size as a kid with a mom who is 6ft!

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Thats what I always did too. They used to harp on me about my oldest being short. Um, can you see me...I am only 5ft and pretty petite. So laughable! 

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Thanks he turned one on the 11th. I never went to the for breastfeeding advice and they never tried to give me any really, until now. I was caught off guard when she said that, but just smiled and nodded and am going to do it my own way regardless lol.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

They IMO are not a pro breastfeeding organization at all!! They used to tell me all sorts of crazy stuff! I was thankful they were there when we needed help, but I never listened to most of their advice! Happy birthday to you baby :)

Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Does she not realize that almonds and therefore almond milk contain good fats?
Godspitgrl
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

They are so crazy I do not understand WIC at all. Soy is an estrogen replacement and boys do not need it. Milk (esp cows milk) has way to many fats and other things we do not need. There is no way they shuold be pushing it the way they do.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Yeah, she actually told me that it doesn't have enough fat or calories in it and that he really needs whole milk. It made me want to ask for her credential to be giving out nutrition advice.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Does she not realize that almonds and therefore almond milk contain good fats?

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I agree with the soy. I think in moderation it's ok for adults, but am hesitant to give it to my kids. I know that really nutritionally we humans don't need cow milk, but we love it so we drink it, though we are a skim milk family and my 4 year old gets one maybe two cups a day (about 4 ounce cups). We also love our cheese and yogurt!

Quoting Godspitgrl:

They are so crazy I do not understand WIC at all. Soy is an estrogen replacement and boys do not need it. Milk (esp cows milk) has way to many fats and other things we do not need. There is no way they shuold be pushing it the way they do.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Your milk has a LOT of lactose. If he was lactose intolerant, he wouldn't be able to handle your milk.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

I know, but with my oldest it was just a lactose intolerance, that he eventually outgrew (thankfully). My youngest is showing the same symptoms that my oldest did. My oldest could drink the lactaid with no problem, so I figured I would start with that and if there are still issues then we could try something else. If I have to I will just buy him the almond milk myself since I know he can drink that with no problems, it's just so expensive that I figured the lactaid could be a good place to start since that's what wic can give me.

Quoting aehanrahan:

If there is a diary issue, the Lactaid will still affect it because it has the cow milk proteins that cause the issues.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Yeah I know, I just worry about putting the phytoestrogens in my little boy when they don't really know the effects yet...besidesy oldest a couldn't tolerate soy when he was young any better than the cows milk so I figured the lact-aid would be better just in case.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 30, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Plus, they still use the old CDC formula charts instead of the WHO charts.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

It's funny that they think all kids should fit on their little graph perfectly regardless of what their parents look like. A kid with a petite mother isn't going to be the same size as a kid with a mom who is 6ft!

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN