Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms
So I took the baby in for his wic renewal today since he just had his first birthday. We had a dr note for almond milk instead of cows milk because my oldest had a lactose intolerance and the dr was worried my youngest would have it too. Well long story short they could only give is lactose free milk or soy, so we took the lactose free. The "nutritionist" was telling me that almond milk doesn't have the fat that he needs, so I informed her that mostly he still gets breast milk, well only breast milk if I am home. She looked at me like I had three heads! She then proceeded to tell me that instead I should be pushing cheese and yogurt (he can eat those without problems) so that he gets the fat he needs. I just nodded and smiled but was thinking to myself how could an agency that is supposed to be so pro-breastfeeding have so little knowledge about it? Smh, good thing I know better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mrsfarr
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
The amount of fat is irrelevant. It's the quality. That woman is an imbecile. You did good not taking her seriously.
I have low tollerence for stupidity. I would have outright told her she didn't have the qualifications to be making statements like that.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Yeah, she actually told me that it doesn't have enough fat or calories in it and that he really needs whole milk. It made me want to ask for her credential to be giving out nutrition advice.

Quoting Mrsfarr:

Does she not realize that almonds and therefore almond milk contain good fats?

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM
That's very true!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Plus, they still use the old CDC formula charts instead of the WHO charts.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

It's funny that they think all kids should fit on their little graph perfectly regardless of what their parents look like. A kid with a petite mother isn't going to be the same size as a kid with a mom who is 6ft!

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

Thats what I always did too. They used to harp on me about my oldest being short. Um, can you see me...I am only 5ft and pretty petite. So laughable! 

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Thanks he turned one on the 11th. I never went to the for breastfeeding advice and they never tried to give me any really, until now. I was caught off guard when she said that, but just smiled and nodded and am going to do it my own way regardless lol.

Quoting workoutmom2b1g:

They IMO are not a pro breastfeeding organization at all!! They used to tell me all sorts of crazy stuff! I was thankful they were there when we needed help, but I never listened to most of their advice! Happy birthday to you baby :)

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I'm not sure, I haven't researched them yet.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Yeah he's huge lol. Never heard of lactose drops. What are they supposed to do?

Quoting aimhawk:

WOW, big boy! My guy is 20.5lbs and 30in.! I fear he is lactose intolerant and our pedi recommended lactose drops to put into the regular milk.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

That's awesome, I think some offices just have better educated staff than others, or I just got the one that didn't know what she was talking about. Either way I'm gonna keep nursing my baby. He didn't get to 27 pounds and 33 inches on formula, so my milk must have some good stuff in it lol.

Quoting aimhawk:

Our WIC office supports my breastfeeding as long as we want! We just had our year check in, too.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Just did a quick search and they are apparently just lactase enzyme that breaks the lactose enzyme down but you have to put the right amount into the milk and let air for 24 hours first. It also says you can take them orally just before or after ingesting lactose to help break it down into something your body can digest. It seems like it would be cheaper than having to buy the lactose free milk.

Quoting aimhawk:

I'm not sure, I haven't researched them yet.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Yeah he's huge lol. Never heard of lactose drops. What are they supposed to do?

Quoting aimhawk:

WOW, big boy! My guy is 20.5lbs and 30in.! I fear he is lactose intolerant and our pedi recommended lactose drops to put into the regular milk.

Quoting BennyBaby09:

That's awesome, I think some offices just have better educated staff than others, or I just got the one that didn't know what she was talking about. Either way I'm gonna keep nursing my baby. He didn't get to 27 pounds and 33 inches on formula, so my milk must have some good stuff in it lol.

Quoting aimhawk:

Our WIC office supports my breastfeeding as long as we want! We just had our year check in, too.

soulofsunmama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Lol, I almost said that about the fruits&veggies...agreed!!

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Yeah they do try to give the cheapest stuff possible, but it's nice having the help with the fresh fruits/veggies, eggs, milk etc. I try not to get the canned beans or anything like that because I can make my own that is better for you and tastes better too.

Quoting soulofsunmama:

Yea, they seriously give THE CHEAPEST crap they have....except you can get REECES peanut butter (can you say full of sugar) out...

Quoting angellove1119:

Probably because almond milk is way more expensive than soy milk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beliciasmommy
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:28 AM
that's ridiculous there supposed to be so pro breastfeeding and " breast is best" that worries me b/c I'm planning on breast feeding my daughter and I go through WIC as well there nurses and breast feeding consultants should have more than average knowledge to help us!
illinoismommy83
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:30 AM

It is a shame almond milk isn't covered. I'm lactose intolerant and think the lactose-free cow milk tastes like someone dumped a cup of sugar into the milk. Ugh. I could use it for coffee creamer maybe but certainly not drink sweet milk. Eww.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Really? Honestly I've never tried the lactose free milk. I think I might just suck it up and buy him the almond milk. I feel like that would be better for him and he really likes it.

Quoting illinoismommy83:

It is a shame almond milk isn't covered. I'm lactose intolerant and think the lactose-free cow milk tastes like someone dumped a cup of sugar into the milk. Ugh. I could use it for coffee creamer maybe but certainly not drink sweet milk. Eww.

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:40 AM

I definitely think it is the route we will be taking. Our pedi recommended it before anything else. And I'm pretty sure she explained it to me, but its been a rough couple of days. Thank you for looking it up!

Quoting BennyBaby09:

Just did a quick search and they are apparently just lactase enzyme that breaks the lactose enzyme down but you have to put the right amount into the milk and let air for 24 hours first. It also says you can take them orally just before or after ingesting lactose to help break it down into something your body can digest. It seems like it would be cheaper than having to buy the lactose free milk.

Nolanzo
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Ours is very pro breast feeding!

That said, I know I'm going to end up paying for almond milk because they absolutely will not. And I refuse to do dairy at all for the first two ears, so Lactaid is out of the question.

I'm really not a dairy fan at all, it's too bad there isn't a milk-free alternative other than soy which I would never touch either that they will help with.

FYI: aldi has almond milk for 2.79$ half gallon which is by far the cheapest I've found :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN