Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I took the baby in for his wic renewal today since he just had his first birthday. We had a dr note for almond milk instead of cows milk because my oldest had a lactose intolerance and the dr was worried my youngest would have it too. Well long story short they could only give is lactose free milk or soy, so we took the lactose free. The "nutritionist" was telling me that almond milk doesn't have the fat that he needs, so I informed her that mostly he still gets breast milk, well only breast milk if I am home. She looked at me like I had three heads! She then proceeded to tell me that instead I should be pushing cheese and yogurt (he can eat those without problems) so that he gets the fat he needs. I just nodded and smiled but was thinking to myself how could an agency that is supposed to be so pro-breastfeeding have so little knowledge about it? Smh, good thing I know better.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 30, 2013 at 8:29 PM
Replies (41-48):
abigailsmommy11
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Yeah, I am not very fond of WIC. I don't like that they don't give you food as a breastfeeding mom after baby turns 1. So dumb, it should at least go until 2.
Brooked18
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:04 AM
There isn't a huge difference maybe a dollar I just bought both today

Quoting angellove1119:

Probably because almond milk is way more expensive than soy milk.

BennyBaby09
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I totally agree, if they are pro- breast feeding they should go by who standards of two years so mom can continue to get e nutrients she needs to make sure her baby gets them.

Quoting abigailsmommy11:

Yeah, I am not very fond of WIC. I don't like that they don't give you food as a breastfeeding mom after baby turns 1. So dumb, it should at least go until 2.

lorsmommy08
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM

The only reason I've stayed on WIC is because dd2 is FTT(she's 23lbs at 3.5 years and developmentally delayed) so she's been on pediasure and there's no way we could cover it. I do enjoy the bread and milk we get and the first year with ds was great because they gave me a PISA for free but their LC is really out dated and they never really pay attention to things they've all ready done or told me about and since its such a small area to me that's just poor business.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, they give way too much diary and not enough fruita ans veggies.....and.juice.....why juice?!?!
christineT79
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Was it just a WIC employee or the WIC hired lactation consultant? I don't think people understand that breastmilk has the highest levels of fat & calories then anything else. I'll never understand why Dr's, nurses & WIC employees all say breast is best but then push all kinds of other forms of food. It's alittle contradictory.

gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

You could bathe in the amount of milk they give. I have even made yogurt with it when I was pregnant. Last night I made a bunch of pudding, just to be rid of some of it. And my heathens think I love them, because I made them junk food.

But thankfully the LC ladies here are VERY useful and helpful.

Quoting Precious333:

Yeah, they give way too much diary and not enough fruita ans veggies.....and.juice.....why juice?!?!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Oh yeah...i want to learn tk make kefir.

Quoting gumeshoe:

You could bathe in the amount of milk they give. I have even made yogurt with it when I was pregnant. Last night I made a bunch of pudding, just to be rid of some of it. And my heathens think I love them, because I made them junk food.

But thankfully the LC ladies here are VERY useful and helpful.

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)