Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Continued issues after tongue clipping

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM
  • 5 Replies
So we recently found out that my son was tongue tied and we had his to fur clipped in order to help his breastfeeding and my nipple pain. His latch seemed better immediately after the procedure but now it seems it is back to how it was before. I'm a little disappointed because from what I've read, mothers feel an immediate change after the clipping. I'm not sure if its from oversupply or what but my sons latch still feels shallow and somewhat painful. I'm just at a loss and starting to feel defeated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mommathea
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

His latch and tongue needs retrained. it is habit for him to not put his tongue back instead of forward. You have to break the habit and teach him how to do it the right way.  

When my little one had it clipped at 4wks it immediatly was better but within a couple nursing sessions it started getting worse again. 

Don't worry, the retraining works, and it will get better - just think of it as breaking a habit that has been going on for 9months. It  will take some time, but will get better. 

I can't find the link on how to retrain the tongue  - could somone link it - I know I've seen someone post the link before. 

heatherd09
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:14 AM
He is almost 4 weeks. I would love the link if anyone has it.

Quoting mommathea:

His latch and tongue needs retrained. it is habit for him to not put his tongue back instead of forward. You have to break the habit and teach him how to do it the right way.  

When my little one had it clipped at 4wks it immediatly was better but within a couple nursing sessions it started getting worse again. 

Don't worry, the retraining works, and it will get better - just think of it as breaking a habit that has been going on for 9months. It  will take some time, but will get better. 

I can't find the link on how to retrain the tongue  - could somone link it - I know I've seen someone post the link before. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Was it a posterior tie?  Who revised it?  Did they tell you how to do the stretches to prevent reattachment?  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, it is so frustrating!

We had my 3 month old revised and had immediate improvement, thought it took a full month to see full results.  Cranio sacral work will help, but we couldn't afford it.  Then she got sick and I got mastitis, we had some reattachment.  I opened it up again and am hopefully seeing improvement again.  It's a long road, I know :(

heatherd09
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I have no idea! I was never given any stretches or anything!

Quoting PoodleMum:

Was it a posterior tie?  Who revised it?  Did they tell you how to do the stretches to prevent reattachment?  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, it is so frustrating!

We had my 3 month old revised and had immediate improvement, thought it took a full month to see full results.  Cranio sacral work will help, but we couldn't afford it.  Then she got sick and I got mastitis, we had some reattachment.  I opened it up again and am hopefully seeing improvement again.  It's a long road, I know :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Here's a group you might find helpful, there's also another group for after clipping support but it's not active yet unfortunately.  Everyone in here is so helpful and there's tons of information in the files section :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

Quoting heatherd09:

I have no idea! I was never given any stretches or anything!

Quoting PoodleMum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN