Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

working bf moms I need advice

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM
  • 13 Replies

first off BF is he'll for me :) there I said it. I go back to work in 4 weeks, I have stored up some milk, but I have to be careful. I have oversupply, over active letdown, screaming colicky baby who never gets off the boob. How much did you store, and how much did you leave for 8 hr period. I have no idea how much she takes when I give her a bottle of breastmilk she will suck down 4+ oz and want more til she throws up. so I give her 4 then she cries for a half hour then I put her on the boob. I have to start getting her on some sort of schedule for a nanny but how? we currently eat little tummies and colic calm like candy. and please no lectures I have read kellymom from back to front with oversupply, I no longer pump so my boobs are exploding and painful. but supply has decreased so she doesn't choke. I have done everything else it says too, just stuck with screaming bf kid who sleeps a total of 6-8 hours total in a 24 hr period.already off milk and soy for several weeks so that's not the problem. no lip or tongue ties, just miserable. back to the point need help schedule and preparing for nanny to take over hell child? suggestions please.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyPink07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:28 AM
My over supply actually makes it easier to work. I can pump 3-4 oz at a time (9 is the most) so I only pump 3-4 times at work ( I work 12 hrs). My reccomendation is this : let the nanny figure out a scheduel. What works for her. I feed on demand at home. So hubby does the same. And as far as the over supply, she'll get used to it. I tried everything too, and at 3 months a switch was flipped and she was a completely different child. It'll get better, no need to call her hell child. Just educate the nanny about over feeding, and be on your way :) gl!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM
For an 8 he shift you want to leave 8-10ozs total given in bottles no more than 3ozs with the slowest flow nipple you can find. Give an oz, burp, switch arms and repeat. The point is to slow down the feeding so it takes at least 15 minutes. Bottles are famine while mom is feast. I also have a tiny oversupply so I pumped once a day for the week before I went back first thing in the morning. Used that milk for the first day. Then you pump today for tomorrow. IMO an oversupply can be kinda useful when you go back to work because your supply regulates alot the first year.
Sunflower_rn
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

that is what I am hoping for since most have problems with supply. my hours vary cause I work in the operating room, bur like mentioned pump for the next day and I typically give her an ounce at a time burp and repeat, warming only 2 oz at a time just in case. the nanny we have chosen has experience with colic so crossing fingers, and her last baby she took care of was breastfed so a plus:) and I know she will outgrow this but it still doesn't help, she does get better each day with just really bad days one day, happy day the next. used to be rotten straight through lol. she is not my only child that is what makes it really tough, it feels like I ignore everyone else:( but soon she will be bigger and things will improve. thank you and more advice on storing, scheduling, and how do you ever make dinner when you eat home from work when you have lo attached?  that will be the only time early am and evenings when she can be put  to breast how do you make time for dinner? family time, everyone is already used to mom being exposed lol.

mollysmom328
by Stephanie on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I agree, oversupply/OAL was totally useful when I went back to work.  I still carefully regulated bottle amounts but I knew I would always pump enough and still donated a bunch after I went back to work.  Your story sounds exactly like mine.  DD was miserable and colicky for a good 6-9 months.  Good news is after the first few days away from me, she was practically an angel at daycare.  I think it helped that I limited the amount in her bottles so she had a break from the massive amounts of uncontrolled milk while at daycare.  *oh, and I always called mine the monster :)*

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I created me an oversupply by starting to pump earlier and a lot, but it works for me now, I work 10hr shift. I pump twice a day and it works for me, DS take the milk next day. In the beginning my storage was for almost 2 weeks or so.

Be careful with your OAL and over supply the first week at work,  I had "wet shirt" moments that were so embarrassed. Good luck your little princess will be ok.

kellymom127
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM

have you had your baby checked for acid reflex?

shortyali
by Alicia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM
For dinners I try to once a week cook 4-5 big meals and freeze them. I do this when dh is home and can entertain fir the mist part. This way I just toss in the oven and take care of baby. DH works the opposite shift than I do so 80% of the time it's just me with 3 kids under 5.
For storing I just keep in the fridge for the next day. I fill bottles per feeding and anything left at the end of the week gets frozen. Mondays are a combo of frozen and fresh depending on how much I was able to get on my once a day pumping sat and sun. For the freezer I store in lanoish freezer bags because they have the double seal and can freeze flat so they take up less space.

Quoting Sunflower_rn:

that is what I am hoping for since most have problems with supply. my hours vary cause I work in the operating room, bur like mentioned pump for the next day and I typically give her an ounce at a time burp and repeat, warming only 2 oz at a time just in case. the nanny we have chosen has experience with colic so crossing fingers, and her last baby she took care of was breastfed so a plus:) and I know she will outgrow this but it still doesn't help, she does get better each day with just really bad days one day, happy day the next. used to be rotten straight through lol. she is not my only child that is what makes it really tough, it feels like I ignore everyone else:( but soon she will be bigger and things will improve. thank you and more advice on storing, scheduling, and how do you ever make dinner when you eat home from work when you have lo attached?  that will be the only time early am and evenings when she can be put  to breast how do you make time for dinner? family time, everyone is already used to mom being exposed lol.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Quoting Sunflower_rn:

first off BF is he'll for me :)

??? Oh, you mean HELL. **grin** It's OK, you may use that word. And it's also OK... most of us shared that experience.

there I said it. I go back to work in 4 weeks, I have stored up some milk, but I have to be careful. I have oversupply, over active letdown, screaming colicky baby who never gets off the boob. How much did you store,

Went back to work with a day and a half's worth in the freezer. 12 ounces.

and how much did you leave for 8 hr period.

8-10 ounces. NOT ONE DROP MORE. More is overfeeding.

I have no idea how much she takes when I give her a bottle of breastmilk she will suck down 4+ oz and want more til she throws up.

Don't give her that much. TWO ounces max. Feed one ounce, stop and burp, feed the next ounce, burp. Bottles are NEVER to be sucked down. They are to be as inconvenient as possible so she doesn't prefer them.

In fact, if you are present, ZERO bottles. Every pumped drop into the freezer, given only when you are NOT present.

so I give her 4 then she cries for a half hour then I put her on the boob.

Why not put her on the breast in the first place? There is NO need to get her used to a bottle. She'll take it or not anyway... we've seen babies take then refuse. So don't waste your time.

I have to start getting her on some sort of schedule for a nanny but how?

2 ounces every two hours, until 90 minutes before you return. ZERO bottles in that time.

we currently eat little tummies and colic calm like candy. and please no lectures I have read kellymom from back to front with oversupply, I no longer pump so my boobs are exploding and painful. but supply has decreased so she doesn't choke.

Excellent.

I have done everything else it says too, just stuck with screaming bf kid who sleeps a total of 6-8 hours total in a 24 hr period.

That's fine, actually. Babies know how much sleep they need. Never mind what you read int he books.

already off milk and soy for several weeks so that's not the problem. no lip or tongue ties, just miserable. back to the point need help schedule and preparing for nanny to take over hell child? suggestions please.

You don't have to prepare at all. You're already as prepared as needed. No need to get baby used to anything. REALLY! It just makes unnecessary work for you. Nanny is a different caregiver and baby adapts.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM

As to your food question... that's why I kept my husband around. He cooks better than me.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM
All of this!
Bottles should be about 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. If you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you return, you could leave three 2-2.5 ounce bottles to be given every 2 hours and be fine.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Sunflower_rn:

first off BF is he'll for me :)

??? Oh, you mean HELL. **grin** It's OK, you may use that word. And it's also OK... most of us shared that experience.

there I said it. I go back to work in 4 weeks, I have stored up some milk, but I have to be careful. I have oversupply, over active letdown, screaming colicky baby who never gets off the boob. How much did you store,

Went back to work with a day and a half's worth in the freezer. 12 ounces.

and how much did you leave for 8 hr period.

8-10 ounces. NOT ONE DROP MORE. More is overfeeding.

I have no idea how much she takes when I give her a bottle of breastmilk she will suck down 4+ oz and want more til she throws up.

Don't give her that much. TWO ounces max. Feed one ounce, stop and burp, feed the next ounce, burp. Bottles are NEVER to be sucked down. They are to be as inconvenient as possible so she doesn't prefer them.

In fact, if you are present, ZERO bottles. Every pumped drop into the freezer, given only when you are NOT present.

so I give her 4 then she cries for a half hour then I put her on the boob.

Why not put her on the breast in the first place? There is NO need to get her used to a bottle. She'll take it or not anyway... we've seen babies take then refuse. So don't waste your time.

I have to start getting her on some sort of schedule for a nanny but how?

2 ounces every two hours, until 90 minutes before you return. ZERO bottles in that time.

we currently eat little tummies and colic calm like candy. and please no lectures I have read kellymom from back to front with oversupply, I no longer pump so my boobs are exploding and painful. but supply has decreased so she doesn't choke.

Excellent.

I have done everything else it says too, just stuck with screaming bf kid who sleeps a total of 6-8 hours total in a 24 hr period.

That's fine, actually. Babies know how much sleep they need. Never mind what you read int he books.

already off milk and soy for several weeks so that's not the problem. no lip or tongue ties, just miserable. back to the point need help schedule and preparing for nanny to take over hell child? suggestions please.

You don't have to prepare at all. You're already as prepared as needed. No need to get baby used to anything. REALLY! It just makes unnecessary work for you. Nanny is a different caregiver and baby adapts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)