• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Clogged with mastitis, can't get clog out.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have been working on this clog for two days and cant get it out.  Im running a 101 fever and on antibiotics, please help, I don't want to abscess.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skylarkdancer
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Have you tried dangle nursing?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cpop1980
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM

So I just pump and dangle right?  I only have a hand pump, do you think it'll work? 

Cpop1980
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM

That didn't work either.  It's just so deep inside the breast that I can't seem to get a hold of it.  It's so painful

skylarkdancer
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Have ur Lo nurse while you dangle...pumps can't always get them. Also if you use a comb and brush towards the nipple...I know it hurts but it can help.
Cpop1980
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I've actually done the comb thing, and it did hurt.  I'm getting so frustrated.  What are the chances this thing does abscess if I'm on antibiotics?

skylarkdancer
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I'm not a Dr but I would say if ur on antibiotics slim...but I would call ur dr and ask what.their advice is. Warm compress and massage while nursing/pumping can help too
aimhawk
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Definitely dangle nurse! Also fill your sink with hot water and submerge your breast, maybe the bath tub so you have more room to massage at the same time. Nurse, nurse, nurse!!!

gumeshoe
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I spent off and on for a few hours today with a damp wash rag on my heating pad on my boob today to clear up a clogged duct. It's still sore but it is GREATLY improved. If you do this check it before you put it on. It can go from not quite warm to scalding, in no time.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Dangle nurse only, rest and lots of water, as well as warm moist compresses.

Quoting Cpop1980:

So I just pump and dangle right?  I only have a hand pump, do you think it'll work? 

TTC2Long
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I agree with warmth and dangle nursing, preferably warmth right before dangle nursing. I am super prone to clogs, though I've never had mastitis, thank goodness. Here are my two favorite tricks: heat a rice pack and sleep with it on the spot. Nursing during the night, combined with the heat, will help move it. Rice packs are better than heating pads because they cool on their own so you don't have to worry about over exposure or waking up to turn it off. There are also no wires in the bed if you cosleep. Second, soy lecithin granules. They are inexpensive, safe and natural. They work by suspending fat molecules in water, so they don't stick to the duct walls and each other, which is what creates the clogs. I think they also played a role in my post partum weightloss and they have other health benefits as well. I used to stir them into my morning protein shake and could always tell a huge difference if I forgot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)