• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it normal to feel sad and maybe a little depressed when you stop breastfeeding?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM
  • 8 Replies

I have recently weaned my son from nursing and this past week I have been pretty sad and quite frankly in a depressed mood.  I couldn't figure out why I was feeling this way until I started thinking that maybe it had something to do with not nursing anymore.  Are these feeling normal?  How do you help yourself feel better about not nursing anymore? 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
larissalarie
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Yes it's normal, just like any milestone, it's bittersweet.

Did you meet your breastfeeding goals, or was weaning not what you wanted at this point? Not breastfeeding ad long as you intended could definitely intensify the normal sadness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yes completely normal. I still miss nursing so much & he's been weaned for 2 yrs.

BabyFruit Ticker

sunfire79
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I actually went a little longer than I had planned.  I guess I just miss that bonding with him.  I didn't nurse my daughter b/c she refused to latch.  I tried for two weeks to get her to nurse, but she would just scream and scream.....so I don't remember feeling this sad.

Quoting larissalarie:

Yes it's normal, just like any milestone, it's bittersweet.

Did you meet your breastfeeding goals, or was weaning not what you wanted at this point? Not breastfeeding ad long as you intended could definitely intensify the normal sadness.

rHOPEb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Yea......its normal.  :/  Kinda bittersweet.  I was glad to have my boobs back and be able to wear my 'cute' bras again, but then again my baby didn't need me.  You just have to remind yourself of other things your LO now needs you for......

ceckyl
by Kyla on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM
It's very normal. When you're nursing you release 'feel good' hormones. When thoes stop its an adjustment. I started goin to the gym to help release them on my own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
conweis
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

It is normal. I cried after each kid but I did not get to my bf goal. It feels like you are losing a special connection.

Momsthename0609
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Yes with 2 of my kids I did feel that way. One weaned on their own and the other one I weaned.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
embrigmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Hormones! Your body was producing certine ones to make milk now that you've weaned your baody is no longer making it. Your hormones are leaveling back out to normal so that could effect your mood.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)