Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

From nursing to sleep to crib at nap time

Posted by   + Show Post
Anyone did it? How? Today I nursed my ds, put him awake in his crib and I've been sitting in a chair next to his crib for more than an hour! He has cried, played, screamed but I did not give up. I blew his nose, pat his back but did not pick him up. It is very hard! I'm on the verge of crying but he needs to learn how to self sooth to sleep. I've read every online tips but can't seem to find anything on how to do it. Can I keep the same bedtime routine (nurse to sleep and co sleep) but teach him to fall asleep on his own for nap time or am I confusing him? And what do I do when he nap for 45 minutes than wake up and fall back asleep nursing? I let him sleep in my arms or put him back down?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Replies (11-19):
Steamedpuddle30
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM
My dd is only 4 months old and she wants this.lol. It's hard w 6 other people that need u in the home. This is w my Dh helping out but he gets up so early I feel bad making do a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilou
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM
When my ds was that age I was un latching him as soon as he was falling asleep and give a paci he he wanted too so he wouldn't get into the habit of having me as his pacifier. One night I was so tired that I let him stay on the breast a few hours, BIG mistake!

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

My dd is only 4 months old and she wants this.lol. It's hard w 6 other people that need u in the home. This is w my Dh helping out but he gets up so early I feel bad making do a lot.

Mrs.Brugger
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I've put DD in her crib since we brought her home from the H on day 2. I started putting her in while she was asleep and then when she woke up she would be in her crib and get used to it, and then if it was naptime and she was still awake after she nursed, i put her in there anyway. I use her womb bear when needed.

Having him be in 2 beds, one without you and one with you might be confusing to him.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM
I donf believe a babg should learn to aelf soothe.....so im no help. Sorry.
lilou
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:22 PM
I'm mot a big fan either but he's not a baby anymore. He is a 17 month old toddler and he will have to learn sooner or later.

Quoting Precious333:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Just a shot in the dark but do you have a baby safe room, we started by putting the crib mattress on the floor. I would nurse her to sleep then walk away (so she didn't have to move). Then she stopped falling asleep at the breast and would give me a kiss and go to sleep on her own. I literally did nothing but quit trying to confine her to a crib and she was thrilled. (This wAs at 12 mo)
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM
That is a little different, they can understand nap time better at that age.

Quoting lilou:

I'm mot a big fan either but he's not a baby anymore. He is a 17 month old toddler and he will have to learn sooner or later.

Quoting Precious333:

turttlemom
by Nayelli on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Good luck, my poor baby knows how to nap without nurse when he is at daycare, but when he is with my there is no way he falls asleep without nursing. 

Sometimes I think it is kind of my fault because I feel guilty of being away a lot of time to work.

Quoting lilou:

Quoting Precious333:

Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
*hugs* My 22 month old was like that from birth also. I would sit on the floor by his crib and pat his back and he would eventually go to sleep. He does ask me to lay with him sometimes now(hé isnt in a crib any more) but for the most part hé sleeps on his own.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)