Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long do/did you breastfeed your kids?!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM
  • 82 Replies
1 mom liked this
I honestly thought youre supposed to stop at 1 year then give cows milk until i read on many of your posts breastfeeding longer than that so i made a new goal i want to breastfeed for 3 years! I told my hubby and my mom and i thought they were going to give me weird looks and tell me im nuts but they surprised me by saying okay thats the best choice for bryan o.O and i asked them yall arent weirded out and they told me its uncommon here in the us but in mexico(hubby) and el salvador(mom) is very common to breastfeed till 5 years old! Lol so what about you?! Whats your goals on how long you want or have breastfeed? Any advice / tips will be helpful as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM
2 moms liked this
My minimum is 2yrs (she'll be 2 in March). DF and I are very pro- child led weaning, so she'll nurse as long as she pleases. I know my family thinks it's strange to nurse a toddler, but I really don't care at all lol, it's no one's business. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

My first was only bf until 8 weeks because of misinformation on my part & a stupid dr not telling me  her  problems could be fixed & how.(she had a milk sensitivity & never once was it mentioned I stopped dairy & I didn't know)

My second was only breastfed until 6 weeks mainly because of misinformation & me not being educated.

My third was breastfed until 25 months, wanted to allow him to self wean but had some unexpected medical issues & had to stop.

The one I'm pg with now will be allowed to self wean. (meaning any age, whether it be 2 ,5 or older if that's what baby needs)

BabyFruit Ticker

robbinsroost
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

DD1 I nursed for 12 months. DS1 I had to stop nursing at 9 months because I dried up due to pregnancy. DD2 I nursed for 10 months. I am currently nursing DS2 and he is almost 1. I was planning to wean, but he is not ready. I hope we can wean soon.

I have found that about a year is my limit. I just don't like nursing a toddler. This is my preference, not what is right for everyone.

styler7
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Longest was 23 months.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
As long as it works for us. So far i am nursing my youngest at 28 months. The other two were weaned around 2yrs old.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Btw.....love their support!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
I bfed my ds til he was 30 months old, dd1 til she was 28 months old. Dd2 is 5 months. We're not stopping anytime soon.

I've been pregnant and/or nursing for 6 years straight! Got married and 2 weeks later I was pregnant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dedicatedrider
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM
2 moms liked this

The average weaning age around the world is 2-7 years old!  When I had my youngest (almost 1 now) all my boys took up nursing again, my oldest was 4 and hadn't nursed since he was 10 months old, and my 3 year old hadn't nursed since 4-5 months, my 2 year old had nursed through my pregnancy.  The older two only had fleeting interest, my 2 year old who is now almost 3 still nurses on occassion, and my almost 1 year old is going strong.  I have another who's due the end of May.  I practice child led weaning and allow them to lead the way =)

mommyofblueyes
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

My first 6 weeks :(

My second actually just weaned a couple of weeks ago.  She is 25 months.  

proudmama11212
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Im sorry you are probably going to think im slow lol but love whose support?!

Quoting Precious333:

Btw.....love their support!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)