Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long do/did you breastfeed your kids?!

I honestly thought youre supposed to stop at 1 year then give cows milk until i read on many of your posts breastfeeding longer than that so i made a new goal i want to breastfeed for 3 years! I told my hubby and my mom and i thought they were going to give me weird looks and tell me im nuts but they surprised me by saying okay thats the best choice for bryan o.O and i asked them yall arent weirded out and they told me its uncommon here in the us but in mexico(hubby) and el salvador(mom) is very common to breastfeed till 5 years old! Lol so what about you?! Whats your goals on how long you want or have breastfeed? Any advice / tips will be helpful as well!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (61-70):
eckielady
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

My dd turned a year on the 19th of January and we're still going strong. She nurses a lot still and I hope to make it to at least 2 years. I plan on letting her decide when she's done. 

CRFstffrd
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM
My goal is at least 6 months...but I might go longer...
But no longer than a year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine71980
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM

R is 14 months now and is weaning herself  :(  I wanted to make it till at least 2.  She's still nursing about 4 times a day for about 2 minutes each (instead of every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes). Since I'm pregnant, maybe she'll nurse some after Baby Blueberry arrives in Aug and I can still make my 2 yr goal.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 1, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I nursed one child til 3.5 years old and now nursing 2 years 9 months with this one so far

finnbar
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not gonna lie, breastfeeding past a year has unique challenges. Like during todays afternoon nap nurse where instead of being able to doze off I had to remain hyper vigilant against attacks from these grabby grippers. DS wanted to pinch my nipple with them! I objected!
Beccahairlady
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM

My DD nursed until she was 20 months. I could have done it loger, but I didn't know you could nurse every couple of days...this was 5 years ago. I am currently nursing my 11 month old DS and I'll do child led weaning.

finnbar
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM
1 mom liked this
That's totally normal for her to cut back around that age. Especially since you are pregnant. When Blueberry baby arrives and the milk bar is flooded again she may become more intrigued.

Quoting Sunshine71980:

R is 14 months now and is weaning herself  :(  I wanted to make it till at least 2.  She's still nursing about 4 times a day for about 2 minutes each (instead of every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes). Since I'm pregnant, maybe she'll nurse some after Baby Blueberry arrives in Aug and I can still make my 2 yr goal.

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

DD just turned two today and we're still BFing. I'm going until she stops, whenever that is. I'd be OK BFing until she is five if that's what she wants. It's biologically what we're made for and I stay at home so I don't see any reason not to. At this age she only nurses three definite times per day, and sometimes more if she's teething or tired or sick. We never nurse in public because when we're out she is so busy and into everything that she never asks, but I would if she did. As they get older they decrease nursing sessions and length of sessions on their own. I always nursed on demand but now if she wants to nurse i'll try to give her a drink in a cup or a  snack and she will usually take it. Sometimes she forgets about nursing but if she asks again, I let her because at that point I know it's about comfort. It's a great toddler-taming tool for me because DD is high energy and high strung and when she gets upset sometimes nursing is THE only thing that can even start to calm her down. It's pretty useful!  I'd certainly recommend that BFing moms nurse longer.

Pepe22
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I am bfing my first right now and she is 11 months. She is still 95% on breastmilk. I hope to be done by the time DD is 2 because DH and I plan to try to conceive in august, and I don't really wanna bf two kids at a time! Lol
littlelambe2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:52 PM

With my first, my goal was at least one year. She nursed until 23 months when my milk dried up due to pregnancy. My second is 3 months old and I know I'll be nursing until I get pregnant or.... Ha ha. Idk. I think I may never wean th baby of the family :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN