Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

vent/advice please

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM
  • 45 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi, I'm new to breastfeeding and hope to be able to sucessfully breastfeed my dd for as long as possible. I just need some reassurance. My little girl is a week old today and is nursing just about constantly. She will nurse from one breast until she falls asleep then I try to burp her and change her diaper (because she usually has a bowel movement during each feeding) then she will nurse from the other breast ( and possibly have another bowel movement) she has been increasingly fussy the last few days and wants to be on my breast every waking second. I know I'm producing plenty of milk (I actually think I'm producing too much because of how quickly I become engorged and how much I leak and spray) is it possible that my milk isn't filling for her? Like she's eating so much because it doesn't have the right nutrients for her and that's why she needs to nurse so much? Her bowel movements are yellow and curd ish so I know she's getting the right balance of fore milk and hind milk. She was up all night from 12-7 last night and was pretty much on my breast the whole time. I was so tired that I almost gave her a bottle of formula :/ I didn't but I wanted to. I guess I should start keeping a bottle or two of pumped milk in the fridge so that if I'm to that point again ill have an alternative. Any tips, advice, or reassurances will be greatly appreciatted! Thanks in advance
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this
That sounds pretty normal for that age. She is most likely going threw a growth spurt.
conweis
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like my lil man and he is six weeks old. Can you do the side lying position? I would get in the side lying position and just fall asleep nursing him. I know that is kind of bad but I don't roll forward.

I will admit I gave him formula once just so I could get more sleep but ended up waking up to pump anyway.

mistync
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Thanks! My mom had me slightly worried that she's not getting enough because she was such a big baby. (9lbs 4oz...that's not too big lol) I thought the usual growth spurt started at 2 weeks then another around 6 weeks. I guess all babies are diferent though and you can't expect them to do anything on schedule.

Quoting Momsthename0609:

That sounds pretty normal for that age. She is most likely going threw a growth spurt.
mistync
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I tried last night. Id fall asleep for a few min then wake up. I'm too paranoid that ill roll over on her esp with how exhausted I've been. Apparently nursing all night exhausted her too because she has been asleep for the last two hours. If only I could get my 5yo to agree to a nap. Lol

Quoting conweis:

Sounds like my lil man and he is six weeks old. Can you do the side lying position? I would get in the side lying position and just fall asleep nursing him. I know that is kind of bad but I don't roll forward.

I will admit I gave him formula once just so I could get more sleep but ended up waking up to pump anyway.

Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I had a baby that was 10.14 and my 3 week old was 10.15. I. Find that they tend to eat a little more frequently. Lol I know it is hard not to worry! I still worry if my baby is getting enough and he is the 4th child I have breast fed. Lol As long as baby is having enough BM and wet diapers don't worry! :) It sounds like she is having plenty of wet/poopy diapers.

Quoting mistync:

Thanks! My mom had me slightly worried that she's not getting enough because she was such a big baby. (9lbs 4oz...that's not too big lol) I thought the usual growth spurt started at 2 weeks then another around 6 weeks. I guess all babies are diferent though and you can't expect them to do anything on schedule.

Quoting Momsthename0609:

soulofsunmama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM
This is absolutely normal behavior, you want this...she is building your milk supply, fussing does not mean hungry mama, it means newborn,lol...if you choose to give formula, you can actually damage your supply at this age...it won't last forever I promise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Journeysmama11
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is totally normal! I felt the same way with my son! My mom kept telling me my breastmilk didn't have enough nutrients but that's totally false!  I know it's exhausting! But keep going! You are building a good supply! I overproduced a bit at first too, but turned out really helpful to have that stocked up! :) Just remember it will NOT last forever...just like pregnancy, feels like it's forever but it's not. Keep going! This is just the hard part so you can do it!

conweis
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

You can try using a body pillow. The way I position my legs the only way I can roll is backwards. I also put the pillow in between my legs and behind the baby's back so it give me more to grab. (I am used to snuggling with a teddy bear) and I can feel the baby's legs pushed against my stomach.

Quoting mistync:

I tried last night. Id fall asleep for a few min then wake up. I'm too paranoid that ill roll over on her esp with how exhausted I've been. Apparently nursing all night exhausted her too because she has been asleep for the last two hours. If only I could get my 5yo to agree to a nap. Lol

Quoting conweis:

Journeysmama11
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh, and some of it may be comfort nursng. My son did that for the first 2-3 months. So, not allabout the milk. Baby just wants to be snuggled! And also I bought a small $10 noise maker that makes white noise and my son slept for 4 hours straight the first time we used it! It was amazing! BEST BUY EVER! lol!

Bitemebetty
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:06 PM
My 5 month old just stopped nursing every hour. He is a big healthy boy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)