• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby led solids

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM
  • 13 Replies

Okay I have a 5 1/2 mo old.  What exactly is baby led solids?  I want to start her on solids soon.  What advice can you offer me?  I FF my other two after I went back to work after 9 weeks and they started on solids at 4 months.  The typical rice cereal, stage one foods, etc...  When do I start?  What do I give?  Do I have to add anything to it (ie. Breastmilk)?  She is starting to be very interested in my plate and what I am doing when I am eating.  Just want to make sure I get it right.  :)

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimbyann
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Wait until she is 6months and instead of purees just cut up soft squishy pieces in about French fry sizes and let her go at itit
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trendy2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

She will be 6 mo in two weeks on the 16th.  What types of food should I cut up?

Quoting Kimbyann:

Wait until she is 6months and instead of purees just cut up soft squishy pieces in about French fry sizes and let her go at itit

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Minimum of 6 months, sits up unassisted, can use pincher fingers to pick up foods. I personally dont give any sort of proccessed foods....no jar, no cereals etc. And i start with real fruits and veggies. Www.kellymom.com has info on starting solids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Avocado and roasted sweet potato are great first foods. Full of good fats and nutrients. Be sure you nurse first everytime you want to offer solids and I wouldn't offer more than once or twice a day. The solids aren't meant to take over any large part of nutrition until after a year so it's okay if not much actually makes it into their mouths. You can gradually add in foods from what ever you are having for your meals that day. Shredded meats, veggies, fruits, pretty much anything is game!

eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I'm pretty free range when it comes to babies and food.  In part, that's because we have no food allergies to worry about.  If there are food allergies in your family history, you should be somewhat more careful.

What's worked for me, with three babies, is to start giving them opportunities to reach food at about six months old.  They may or may not go for it.  They may pick it up and play with it.  They may decide that the plate, bowl, or spoon is far more interesting.  All of that is fine.  Somewhere between 7 and 8 months old, each of my kids made the effort to seek out something yummy, put it in their mouth, chew, and swallow.  Keep in mind, these were never foods specifically pureed for baby's use.  My oldest grabbed bread from my hand, my middle daughter rolled a nectarine out of a shopping bag, and my youngest insisted her sibling's crackers and pate (ground chicken livers, parsley, and coconut oil) looked so good, she simply had to have some herself.

i do not make an effort to introduce one food at a time, again, there's not a history of food allergies in my family.  We do have gluten issues but for that reason, gluten isn't even in the house anymore and therefore isn't something to be cautious about or avoid.

Baby led solids generally does not include "baby food" purees (so you won't need to be adding your milk to anything) because the whole point is for your baby to pick up and eat the things she wants to eat.  When you nurse a baby, they self regulate intake from day one.  BLS allows your baby to continue to do the same thing, deciding what she wants to eat and how much of it she needs.

eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Most people start with veggies and fruit; I go with whatever baby grabs first and then just start offering things off my plate.  An early favorite food for my son was tomatoes - pretty much the only way to get him to eat meat until he was 2 was to serve ground meat in a tomato sauce.  My middle child latched onto egg yolks quite early on, and my youngest is a fan of anything animal, especially meatballs because they're just the right size for her chubby little fist.

Quoting trendy2:

She will be 6 mo in two weeks on the 16th.  What types of food should I cut up?

Quoting Kimbyann:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
trendy2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I have searched the site for a list of foods and can't find anything...

Quoting Precious333:

Minimum of 6 months, sits up unassisted, can use pincher fingers to pick up foods. I personally dont give any sort of proccessed foods....no jar, no cereals etc. And i start with real fruits and veggies. Www.kellymom.com has info on starting solids.

eema.gray
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

There's not really a food list because it's kind of up to your child to decide.  A lot of people start with avocado, sweet potato, banana, things that are soft and easy to pick up and chew.  But there is no hard and fast set of rules governing what to feed when.  If your child doesn't know what to do with a food, it will wind up on their face or the floor.  :-)

Quoting trendy2:

I have searched the site for a list of foods and can't find anything...

Quoting Precious333:

"I am only one, but I am still one; I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything I will not refuse to do the something that I can do." ~~ Edward Everett Hale 1822-1909
rHOPEb
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

When she can sit on her own in highchair, can grab the food, feed herself, and chew the food THEN she is ready! :)

Start off with cubed up banana or avacado.  Foods are ONLY for play.  To get them used to different tastes and textures and for learning.  Don't force and don't get frustrated.  If you start too soon then you can get a gassy, constipated baby or the opposite with an upset tummy.  Or even a baby that won't sleep at night any more.  So go slow.  You can also cook sweet potato and squash in the microwave and cube up or even mash with a fork.  Let her play with it and mush it up.  Have fun with it!

christineT79
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
2 moms liked this

Go to Wholesome baby food.com for a list. The list that I saw for babies 6 to 8 months old is:

Fruits: Avocado, Apricots, Apples, Bananas, Mangos, Nectarines, Peaches, Pears, Prunes & Pumpkin

Vegetables: Sweet potatoes, Acorn/Butternut Squash, Carrots, Green beans, Peas, Yellow squash/zucchini

Meats: Chicken, Turkey, Tofu

The website has lots of info on baby led solids

Dairy: Plain wholemilk Yogurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)