Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Another appt for DD (PIOG) *update with weight checks

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM
  • 16 Replies

We had another weight check for DD today. First off, I found out she has pneuomonia. Never saw that one coming. I took her in the beginning of the month but was told she just had a viral infection and it would go away on its own. Well now I guess that wasn't true. They said it would be bronchitis in adults, but pneumonia for kids. So I was given meds for that. And although she had gained 4 ounces since I took her in the beginning of the month when she was having diahrrea and throwing up, the doctor said it isn't enough. Apparently she is now kind of evening out instead of growing more. She's now <1 % in weight and 1% in height. So she isn't growing like the doctor said she should. She is now 21 months old, 30.3 inches tall, and 17 lb., 4 oz. in weight. So...once she gets better, the doctor wants to do blood tests on her to rule things out. She said usually this indicates they aren't getting the nutrition they need, but sometimes it's just that the child is a smaller child. She also wants me to cut back on the bfing, especially the snacking.

So we go back in two weeks.

Here's how she has been:

12 m. 29 in (39%) 16 lbs, 3 oz (4 %)
15 m. 28.5 in (3%) 17 lbs, 7 oz (5%)
18 m. 30.1 in (8%) 17 lbs, 11 oz (2 %)
19 m. 18 lbs (2 %)
20 m. 17 lbs, 10 oz (<1%)
21 m. 30.3 in (1%) 17 lbs, 14 oz (<1%)

(she lost weight between 19 and 20 months due to the diahrrea, and then gained 4 oz. in less than a month back even though she is still sick)

This is how my son was. He was ffed, but they have always been pretty close to the same in sizing with how they have grown since birth.

7 m (7 1/2 m?) 27.25 in 17 lbs
9 m 28.5 in 17 lbs, 3 oz. 
12 m 29 in (25%) 18 lbs, 2 oz. (<3 %)
15 m 30 in(10-25%) 18 lbs, 8 oz. (<3%)
18 m 31 3/4 in(10-25%) 20 lbs, 5 oz. (<3%)
2 34 1/2 in (50%) 22.2 lbs (<3%)
3 35.6 in (10%) 26 lbs, 11 oz (5%)
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM
1 mom liked this
How much gain did she expect when your baby was SICK? Most babies don't gain at all or even LOSE weight while sick, so a gain of 4 ounces is AWESOME! Percentiles are meaningless. She is small, but how is she in general?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:23 PM

I hope she gets better soon and that she's just a smaller child! poor baby :( (btw, that doesn't seem so small to me. Sounds like maybe she weighed less maybe from being sick?

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:28 PM
2 moms liked this

You would not expect any gain during this last month of illness, maybe a loss in fact.

Do not limit the breast! She needs to be nursing more right now to get the needed antibodies to fight this infection! What other food can you give her that is more nutrient and calorie dense?

The doctor basically told you to cut back on, or limit, antibodies that can help her get well more quickly, and her best source of nutrition and calories.that is crazy!

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Thank you. She did loose in the beginning from the diahrrea, but then gained the 4 ounces. I thought it was good. I told the doctor the bm has more fat than the rest but she said food is better. She said that by me doing all those feedings and letting her snack, I am keeping her from being hungry for solid food. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
The doctor is incorrect. She will eat food when she needs to eat food. Your milk is filling the nutritional gaps in the toddler diet. Plus she's getting the antibodies as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

This.  To gain 4 oz in a month at 21 months is actually a pretty good gain, let alone the fact that she has pneumonia which is a known appetite killer.  For reference, as an adult I have a really nasty case of bronchitis right now (probably bordering on pneumonia actually) and I've LOST 7 lbs in the last week, not even trying to diet while I'm sick.  That's typical of pneumonia.

Toddlers are notoriously picky.  The ones that aren't breastfed typically get most of their calories from cow's milk which has less nutrition, less calories, and no antibodies.

Quoting aehanrahan:

The doctor is incorrect. She will eat food when she needs to eat food. Your milk is filling the nutritional gaps in the toddler diet. Plus she's getting the antibodies as well.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Thank you. I don't understand why she keeps wanting me to feed less and less. I thought bf'ing was the best for DD and gave her the most fat and the best for nutrition. Silly me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:40 PM
It is because doctors don't get educated in breastfeeding and nutrition.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Thank you. I don't understand why she keeps wanting me to feed less and less. I thought bf'ing was the best for DD and gave her the most fat and the best for nutrition. Silly me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:53 PM
I can understand that. I just wish they wouldn't tell me somethig without knowing all the facts or saying why. Instead, I get dismissed from the topic as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Quoting aehanrahan:

It is because doctors don't get educated in breastfeeding and nutrition.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Thanks for your help ladies. I also just added weight for the last few months to get your insight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)