Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Another appt for DD (PIOG) *update with weight checks

We had another weight check for DD today. First off, I found out she has pneuomonia. Never saw that one coming. I took her in the beginning of the month but was told she just had a viral infection and it would go away on its own. Well now I guess that wasn't true. They said it would be bronchitis in adults, but pneumonia for kids. So I was given meds for that. And although she had gained 4 ounces since I took her in the beginning of the month when she was having diahrrea and throwing up, the doctor said it isn't enough. Apparently she is now kind of evening out instead of growing more. She's now <1 % in weight and 1% in height. So she isn't growing like the doctor said she should. She is now 21 months old, 30.3 inches tall, and 17 lb., 4 oz. in weight. So...once she gets better, the doctor wants to do blood tests on her to rule things out. She said usually this indicates they aren't getting the nutrition they need, but sometimes it's just that the child is a smaller child. She also wants me to cut back on the bfing, especially the snacking.

So we go back in two weeks.

Here's how she has been:

12 m. 29 in (39%) 16 lbs, 3 oz (4 %)
15 m. 28.5 in (3%) 17 lbs, 7 oz (5%)
18 m. 30.1 in (8%) 17 lbs, 11 oz (2 %)
19 m. 18 lbs (2 %)
20 m. 17 lbs, 10 oz (<1%)
21 m. 30.3 in (1%) 17 lbs, 14 oz (<1%)

(she lost weight between 19 and 20 months due to the diahrrea, and then gained 4 oz. in less than a month back even though she is still sick)

This is how my son was. He was ffed, but they have always been pretty close to the same in sizing with how they have grown since birth.

7 m (7 1/2 m?) 27.25 in 17 lbs
9 m 28.5 in 17 lbs, 3 oz. 
12 m 29 in (25%) 18 lbs, 2 oz. (<3 %)
15 m 30 in(10-25%) 18 lbs, 8 oz. (<3%)
18 m 31 3/4 in(10-25%) 20 lbs, 5 oz. (<3%)
2 34 1/2 in (50%) 22.2 lbs (<3%)
3 35.6 in (10%) 26 lbs, 11 oz (5%)
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:35 PM
Replies (11-16):
Paradys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:59 PM
Print out some info from Dr Sears and kellymom.com and bring it with you, or simply do the smile and nod.
Then, when she's healthy and growing again, you can happily explain how you didn't change a thing and "look how well she's doing"....love doin that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I think sometimes their pride gets in the way and they don't want to admit that they don't know something.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

I can understand that. I just wish they wouldn't tell me somethig without knowing all the facts or saying why. Instead, I get dismissed from the topic as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Quoting aehanrahan:

It is because doctors don't get educated in breastfeeding and nutrition.

Quoting sunshinepraying:

Thank you. I don't understand why she keeps wanting me to feed less and less. I thought bf'ing was the best for DD and gave her the most fat and the best for nutrition. Silly me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I always get stumped when the doctor wants me to tell her exactly how often I nurse DD. I'm like I don't know..when she wants..so I try to guess. Then she tells me to try I lower that number. I need to get better at sticking up for what I believe is best. I think I'll take your advice thoughts and print the stuff out and bing it with me. Thanks for the idea.

Quoting Paradys:

Print out some info from Dr Sears and kellymom.com and bring it with you, or simply do the smile and nod.

Then, when she's healthy and growing again, you can happily explain how you didn't change a thing and "look how well she's doing"....love doin that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM

bump for weight data added

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Knowing that she was sick, I don't see a whole lot to be concerned about.  Toddlers don't gain at a steady rate.  Nurse on demand, offer nutritious high-calorie solids for meals and snacks and she'll get there.  As long as she's continuing to meet milestones, I think all is well.

sunshinepraying
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:34 PM
Thanks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)