Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low milk production!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM
  • 16 Replies

Does anyone have any helpful ideas on how to increase milk production? I pump as often as possible but struggle to get even 4 oz out! Having to mix breast milk and formula! Help..

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jacylove
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Mothers milk tea worked great for me. I use to only make half an oz now I make 3 1/2 oz :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ceckyl
by Kyla on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
4 oz is huge. Why do you think you have to use formula?
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Normal pump output is .5-2oz for both breasts combined, 4oz is ALOT. Are you pumping for work? How much are you giving baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

4 oz is DOUBLE the normal pump output!  Normal is 0.5 oz -2 oz from both breasts combined for a missed feeding.  Can you help us help you by answering some questions?

1.  Why are you pumping?  If it's for work, how long are you and baby separated?  Baby only needs 1-1.25 oz per hr of separation, given in no larger than 3 oz portions.

2.  How often is baby at the breast?  Are you feeding on demand when you're together?

3.  What makes you think supply is low?  The only true indicator when baby is breastfeeding is the amount of dipes you're going through (6 per day says baby's getting enough milk)

4.  How often are you pumping?  For exclusing pumping, it needs to be every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night.  For work, it needs to be every 2-3 hrs that you're separated.  Adding a pumping session first thing in the morning, every morning, will help to give you a cushion.

5.  How big are bottles?  You should be having caregivers feed 2 oz every 2 hrs or 3 oz every 3 hrs.

maggiemom2000
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Average pump output from both breasts combined is .5-2 ounces. The average breastmilk feeding is a maximum of 2-4 ounces per feeding. So, with that in mind, an output of 4 ounces does not seem like a problem.

Can you give me some mre info. So I can help:

How old is your baby?

What is your reason for pumping?

Are you exclusively pumping (EPing) or are you also nursing? Are you pumping for work or school when you are apart?

What kind of pump do you have?

How many times a day are you pumping?

How much milk s baby eating in the bottle, and how often?

How much formula are you giving each day on top of nursing and/or feeding expressed milk?

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Holy cow 4 oz is not an only! THat's more than I ever was able to get in a DAY much less at a time. PP's have  asked all the right questions &  given great advice

BabyFruit Ticker

Mom1219
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM
He takes 3oz each feeding, he has never taken to the breast so all I do is pump, if I give him 3oz each feeding I will run out of breast milk before I can replenish the supply. People I have talked to said when they pump they filled up both bottles...not sure
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Oh so you're exclusively pumping? Are you pumping every 2 hrs during the day & no longer than every 3 hrs at night?? YOu have to pump that often to keep up supply & even then it's very very hard.  Still make sure he's nto getting more than  3 oz every 3 hrs & I still wouldn't  make bottles larger than 3 oz.

Quoting Mom1219:

He takes 3oz each feeding, he has never taken to the breast so all I do is pump, if I give him 3oz each feeding I will run out of breast milk before I can replenish the supply. People I have talked to said when they pump they filled up both bottles...not sure

BabyFruit Ticker

MonicaV1982
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:33 PM

have you tried skin to skin in the laid back position. not trying to get him to nurse, just hang out. he may latch. :)

Quoting Mom1219:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Have you had anyone try to help with your baby's latch? This could solve all your problems! Although, it sounds like you're pumping exactly what your baby requires and your amount is perfect. Very rarely can someone pump and fill up both bottles. I was a freak of nature and pumped 5oz from each breast at every pumping session and miserably lived with oversupply, clogged ducts and mastitis for months. I'm afraid if you try to increase production, you will have an even worse problem of oversupply. Your supply is great and I think you should work on the latch! How old is your baby?

Quoting Mom1219:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)