Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Go-Lacta

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

Has anyone used Go-Lacta or know anything about it? 

I spoke with a lactation nurse today who (finally) had some useful suggestions to help me increase my breastmilk production. I'm down to 1 1/2-3oz PER DAY right now.

I explained how Abby has a tantrum when I try to breastfeed her and when I was sick in November/December my supply has been steadily declining to the point where I'm in total panic right now, especially since I can only pump. 

She suggested several things, one was Go-Lacta. A second was Domperiodone and the third being to attempt breastfeeding when Abby-cakes is mostly satisfied (drinks about 2oz milk) before I attempt breastfeeding so she doesn't get so pissed off. 

Let me know if you have any info or postive/negative experience with this medication. I'm enticed by the company's claim that "Go-Lacta® is a plant-based supplement that has scientifically shown to increase mom’s breast milk supply. Mothers who ate Malunggay produced almost 200% more milk than mothers who didn’t."

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Never heard of it. Have you tries fenugreek, mothers milk tea, or anything else? Is she in bed with you at all?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chrisnmandysmom
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Yes, I'm currently taking 4880mg Fenugreek per day. 

I'm allergic to something in MMT but I've been drinking it with Red Raspberry Leaf and don't have as severe a reaction (red rasp leaf is supposed to help too)

I'm eating approximately 4-6 (1oz each) lactation cookies per day, I'm perfecting my own recipe(s) for them. So I make them fresh every week. 

I'm also eating about 2 cups of steel-cut oats on top of the lactation cookies per day at least 5 days per week

I'm allergic to beer but the brewer's yeast in the cookies seems to be ok. (I have a grain sensitivity so it's more likely other ingredients I'm allergic to) 

I'm drinking about 60oz water per day 

I also do power-pumping sessions every weekend and pump every 2 hours during the day. Nights are harder because we have a lot of activities going on but I pump at least 4 times per day (just top heavy from 5am-5pm: 5am/7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 4-5pm)

I've also tried Nettles, it's the only thing I can take for allergies anyway but I read it's supposed to help supply. Since I found out many antihistamines decrease/stop supply I've stopped taking them altogether.

I spend late evenings skin-to-skin with Abby, pretty much after bath & before bed plus whenever she wakes to feed she comes to bed with me. 

I've tried Reglan but found out I shouldn't be taking it because it can cause depression, and besides, it hasn't worked to increase my supply anyway. 

Oh, and I have a fantastic dual-electric medela pump. 

Quoting Precious333:

Never heard of it. Have you tries fenugreek, mothers milk tea, or anything else? Is she in bed with you at all?

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jan. 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM

wow! sounds like you're doing a lot of good things!

I odnt know if I missed your post before, so sorry if you are repeating yourself, but how do you know your supply is low? Are diaper counts low?

Quoting chrisnmandysmom:

I'm allergic to something in MMT but I've been drinking it with Red Raspberry Leaf and don't have as severe a reaction (red rasp leaf is supposed to help too)

I'm eating approximately 4-6 (1oz each) lactation cookies per day, I'm perfecting my own recipe(s) for them. So I make them fresh every week. 

I'm also eating about 2 cups of steel-cut oats on top of the lactation cookies per day at least 5 days per week

I'm allergic to beer but the brewer's yeast in the cookies seems to be ok. (I have a grain sensitivity so it's more likely other ingredients I'm allergic to) 

I also do power-pumping sessions every weekend and pump every 2 hours during the day. Nights are harder because we have a lot of activities going on but I pump at least 4 times per day (just top heavy from 5am-5pm: 5am/7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 4-5pm)

I've also tried Nettles, it's the only thing I can take for allergies anyway but I read it's supposed to help supply. Since I found out many antihistamines decrease/stop supply I've stopped taking them altogether.

I spend late evenings skin-to-skin with Abby, pretty much after bath & before bed plus whenever she wakes to feed she comes to bed with me. 

I've tried Reglan but found out I shouldn't be taking it because it can cause depression, and besides, it hasn't worked to increase my supply anyway. 

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Pumping 4 times a day is not enough for exclusive pumping. Nothing will help if you're not pumping or nursing more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Every two hours on the pump, please. Absolutely no less.... less pumping means less supply and that causes the fix you're in.

LucyHourglass is an evangelist for this product. It seems to work well. But as already stated... NOTHING will help of you're not on the pump more than you are. You only need 15 minutes each time, but you need that 15 minutes every two hours. When you get things back up you can go four hours at night. Daytime will remain every two. If you run into problmes again, you reinstate the round the clock schedule.

catholicmamamia
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM

What Amy and Gina said.. :o) 

♥♥ Join us in  
Crunchy Moms  -  make friends and share advice
             on breastfeeding, babywearing, bedsharing, and natural living! ♥

chrisnmandysmom
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My supply is low because I'm only pumping a maximum of three ounces per day. 

She drinks about thirty ounces of milk per day plus three jars of baby food. I'm only producing 1/10th of the milk she needs. 

Quoting Precious333:

wow! sounds like you're doing a lot of good things!

I odnt know if I missed your post before, so sorry if you are repeating yourself, but how do you know your supply is low? Are diaper counts low?

Quoting chrisnmandysmom:

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)