Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Does exercise affect breastfeeding and milk production?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
My dd #4 is almost 2 months old and I am about to begin exercising/working out. After being pregnant for the last 2 years, dd #3 is 13 months I am a little nervous about having enough milk. My milk supply is not the greatest as is so I do take Fenugreek pills. But I have heard that working out decreases milk supply and changes your milk. Is it true or untrue? Thoughts or experience advice.
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:33 PM
That is untrue! The only thing that would affect your supply is not being properly hydrated. You can exercise as you wish, just stay fully hydrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Exactly!
I exercise frequently and at high intensity and it hasn't affect my supply negatively at all.

Quoting aehanrahan:

That is untrue! The only thing that would affect your supply is not being properly hydrated. You can exercise as you wish, just stay fully hydrated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:48 PM

You'd have to exercise enough to drop dead. Death has a pretty negative impact on supply. **smile**

justone_jen
by Jen on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Hit the gym, mama. No worries! I work out 4-5 times per week and haven't seen a negative effect on my supply.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celticgodess
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I heard it can affect the taste, bt not your amount.  As in right after you work out it may .....well here you go :)

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)