Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby sleeps through the night but I wake up engorged. Am I alone?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm starved of sleep so when my head hits the pillow I can't wake up. When my husband forces me from slumber I can't even move because my breasts are so full.

Should I set my alarm to wake the baby or pump? What else can I do? I'm in agony!

My baby is 3 weeks old.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lifeforchrist
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:05 PM

how often does baby nurse? engorement is your boddys way of telling the milk productiob to slooow down. so pumping will increase it. Bit a 3wk old should be nursing every 2-3 hours at night to ensure good milk supply and weight gain

lkane81
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM
Well u could wake.him up or pump before you go.to bed. This of course.is assuming baby goes to bed before you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
trendy2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:12 PM

This...

Quoting lifeforchrist:

how often does baby nurse? engorement is your boddys way of telling the milk productiob to slooow down. so pumping will increase it. Bit a 3wk old should be nursing every 2-3 hours at night to ensure good milk supply and weight gain

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Yes, this!
Hand express JUST enough for relief when you're uncomfortable.
I wouldn't expect the baby to continue sleeping that much at night for long. Enjoy it while it lasts. ;-)

Quoting trendy2:

This...

Quoting lifeforchrist:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kiki2382
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:13 PM
I used to get up and pump to take advantage of the extra milk to build my freezer supply.
AngryBob
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Oh man, since five weeks my boob monster has been sleeping through the night - I love it! The first night I woke up in the middle of the night with what I thought was a bug crawling on my neck - I was leaking! It's been soo nice. The last kid didn't sleep through the night til he was like nine months :/
I pump first thing, even before I feed him. He usually only takes one side, so I can at least pump one side, then feed him on the other. He's eight weeks now. Good luck!
mahogany_mum
by Charlee on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM

She nurses every 2-3 hours during the day so my breasts fill up when there's no activity during the night. I'm in so much pain right now. I can't get the hard lump to dissolve.

Do you think I should wake up the baby at night instead of sleeping through?

Quoting lifeforchrist:

January1964
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:16 PM

My doc said to set my alarm for every 2 hours to feed the baby. Once, we forgot, and at a week old, she slept for 5 hours. I thought I'd killed her for not feeding her, but she was fine. I think you'll have to either set the alarm to feed or pump.

JTE11
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Your body is still getting in sync with your LO. Your LO may or may not continue to sleep through the night and eventually your body will adjust and not make too much milk. If you're in agony, set the alarm and pump off just enough to get you comfortable. if you pump too much it will tell your body to make even more. If your baby continues to sleep all night your body will eventually catch on and you won't be so engorged.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN