Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No milk! Help please

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 19 Replies

My SIL has 4 month old. Just went back to work. Has burned through freezer supply. She ff once at night to pump some for next day. She pumps 4 times day while at work. She is only getting ounce total a pumping. I told her about fenugreek and mothers milk and she is doing both. She entirely BF on weekend except for the one ff bottle, so she knows she has supply. What can she do to increase the pumped milk? She told me she was going to quit pumping in 2 weeks if no change. Her doc will not write a prescription for her as well. I'm not sure what else to tell her): please don't judge her, just solutions please! 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

um her output is normal. (1/2-2 oz total) How much is baby getting while  away from mom?

BabyFruit Ticker

polkaspots
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:20 PM
All I can think of is she has to pump more I find that I get more per side if baby is on the other. She could do that in the evenings so that baby gets one side and she pumps from the other. I have so much trouble getting anything from my pump when my son isn't around. I get more with a combination of my manual and hand expressing than my electric.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShanaMomOf2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Her mom is feeding him 4 oz at 9,12,3, and 6

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:25 PM
That's the problem. She should only be feeding him 2oz. The max would be 3oz.

Quoting ShanaMomOf2:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow so he is getting 16 oz. of milk in 9 hours? She is WAYYYYY overfeeding that baby by a LONG shot!!! Maybe 10 oz. max spread over those 4 feedings.  No wonder why she is having problems pumping/getting milk.  The issue is not with her; it's with the overfeeding!

Quoting ShanaMomOf2:

mamabens
by Miranda on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM

That's a bit much. He should not get more than 3 oz every 3 hrs(1 oz per hour) & never in bottles larger than 3 oz. Is she feeding him properly? (sitting up with the bottle paralell to the floor, burping between every oz.) Kellymom.com has info on how to bottle feed the breastfed infant. Breastfed babies should learn the bottle is famine & the breast is feast. If shes gone 8 hrs from baby she should ideally feed before she leaves, 2 hrs later baby gets 2 oz & so on until  2 hrs before mom gets there &  nothing in that time frame & mom feeds upon pickup. Leaving no more than 8ish oz .

Quoting ShanaMomOf2:

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Baby's being overfed. He only needs 1-1.25oz per hour, bottles should never be larger than 3oz.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

YEP baby is overfed which is why baby is not removing enough when nursing so that is hurting supply.  Tell mom NO MORE BOTTLES when she is together to nurse.  Tell her to gradually move babies bottles to 3.5 oz then down to 3 oz then down to 2.5oz there is NO need for so much in 9 hours! I worked 9 hours and my guy too 3 3oz bottles while I worked.  If he had taken more I would have struggled too

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jan. 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

OH and make sure nipples are slow flow and baby is fed upright so that bottles dont pour into the mouth.  Burps should be after each ounce

ShanaMomOf2
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Great info ladies! I thought it sounded like a bit much when she told me!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)