Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Block feeding question

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 19 Replies
I started block feeding yesterday for 3 hr periods to help ds deal with what I think is OAL. He is extremely gassy and in quite a bit of pain most of the day because of it so I thought block feeding paired with reclined nursing may help. Not only has it not relieved his gas pain problem but all day today he's had green poops and now has a painful diaper rash right around his anus. I'm at a loss...I've never had these problems with dd! He's 15 days old today and I'm beginning to feel like such a failure bc I can't relieve his seemingly constant pain. He was only calm while awake today for about 20 mins and the rest of the day he was crying, screaming or sleeping. Sorry I'm rambling...any ideas why his poop is green if he is getting more hind milk with block feeding? Any other tricks I can try to help him?

I'm thinking of going to a LLL meeting next week (if I make it that long...) to have them rule out lip tie. I've read that this can also be a culprit in taking in too much air. And when he's done nursing my nipple is flattened a bit and has a white crease through the middle. Could that be lip tie?

Thank you for any input!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:09 PM
3hr blocks usually don't help much. Try going longer. It also takes a few to see results. Keep trying mama. We have moms on here who had to do 12hr blocks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Oh and it definitely sounds like a tie, get him checked asap!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Block feeding is not an immediate fix, it takes time. But the green poo and diaper rash lead me to believe you might be dealing with a dairy allergy. I would continue to block feed with longer blocks and maybe cut out dairy. 

Momsthename0609
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM
My ds was like that also, he is going to be a month old on the 3rd. I cut out all dairy when he was a week old because I found it got worse when I would eat dairy or peanuts. He has been good now for about a week and a half. If I end up missing hidden dairy in foods he would go back to green mucusy poops, being gassy and very cranky, he would also vomit feedings. I don't mean a little spit up either, he would projectile vomit everything in his stomach.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM
He vomits feedings too! I know I should burp him immediately after every feeding to help but if I do, he vomits it all up and then fusses to eat again! I eliminated dairy last week for 3 days and didnt see a difference. Maybe I need to go longer. Thank you!

Quoting Momsthename0609:

My ds was like that also, he is going to be a month old on the 3rd. I cut out all dairy when he was a week old because I found it got worse when I would eat dairy or peanuts. He has been good now for about a week and a half. If I end up missing hidden dairy in foods he would go back to green mucusy poops, being gassy and very cranky, he would also vomit feedings. I don't mean a little spit up either, he would projectile vomit everything in his stomach.
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Yeah you've got to go about 3 weeks or so. It takes awhile for it to get out your system and a little longer for it to get out of baby's system. 

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

He vomits feedings too! I know I should burp him immediately after every feeding to help but if I do, he vomits it all up and then fusses to eat again! I eliminated dairy last week for 3 days and didnt see a difference. Maybe I need to go longer. Thank you!

Quoting Momsthename0609:

bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Really? By the time the 3 hrs is up my other breast is painfully engorged! Should I pump to alleviate that and to get him hind milk from that breast sooner? How long should my blocks be?

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

3hr blocks usually don't help much. Try going longer. It also takes a few to see results. Keep trying mama. We have moms on here who had to do 12hr blocks!
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM
That helps tremendously to hear that! I've been on google constantly and it seems like he has every symptom for 100 different things from lip tie to reflux to food sensitivities...I'm just so frustrated with it all! :(

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Oh and it definitely sounds like a tie, get him checked asap!
bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM
I did that once for 3 days but didn't see a result. Maybe I'm just impatient! lol I'll go longer this time.

Quoting jjchick75:

Block feeding is not an immediate fix, it takes time. But the green poo and diaper rash lead me to believe you might be dealing with a dairy allergy. I would continue to block feed with longer blocks and maybe cut out dairy. 

jjchick75
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It takes about 2 or 3 WEEKS for dairy to get out of your system and baby's system. 3 days wouldn't do much good lol. Make sure you look for all hidden dairy. Basically if it's processed, stay away from it lol. 

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

I did that once for 3 days but didn't see a result. Maybe I'm just impatient! lol I'll go longer this time.

Quoting jjchick75:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)