Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP PLEASE

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
  • 27 Replies

My son has been uninterested in nursing. Everything from the cat to the tv will distract him when it never did before....could it be a nursing strike and if so how do I get through it, just keep offering?

He is almost 5 mo old

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Just keep offering.It's normal at this age for everything in the world to distract them :)

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Quiet dark room and no solids until he nurses well.  He might be teething which makes a lot of babies uninterested because their gums hurt so you could try a cold wash cloth on his gums too.

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I can go in my room during the day, he wont nurse in the dark however I can go in a quiet room. Hes either teething or just likes to shower himself in spit LOL, he never gets solids until he has fully nursed

Quoting SadieJames:

Quiet dark room and no solids until he nurses well.  He might be teething which makes a lot of babies uninterested because their gums hurt so you could try a cold wash cloth on his gums too.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

If you're giving solids ONLY after nursing and never unless he's nursed, you're following the corretc path and you merely offer. No other alternatives, either... that means no bottles unless you're not there.

Paradys
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:41 PM
I had the same problem at this age, I bought a special, small stuffy that DD was only allowed during nursing and moved us to a quiet room.
She would play with her stuffy and nurse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM
When my youngest turned 4 months old he got EXTREMELY distracted and refused to nurse much unless he was sleepy. He pretty much went from 4 months to 7 months only nursing when he woke, at naps, before bed, and nighttime feedings. They eat when they're hungry enough.

I know you started solids early, so that could be a factor in your situation. Early solids encourage premature weaning, but obviously sometimes it happens without solids in the picture.
Bottom line is that before 1 if baby doesn't fully nurse first, baby doesn't get any other solids or liquids. They won't allow themselves to starve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Also, I've heard a "nursing" necklace can help keep their attention.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SadieJames
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quiet and as little distractions as possible will help! Are you treating teething pain? You can give a breastmilk ice cube in a mesh chewer bag or put breastmilk on a washcloth and freeze it for him to chew on.  A lot of people recommend hylands brand pain reliever as well (I have no personal experience with it).  And good, sometimes moms get caught up in rushing throug the nursing session the dont let baby finish.  Then baby starts being a lazy nurser because they know they'll be full off of solids with less work (smart little buggers). 

Nursing strikes usually only last a couple days and you just have to out stubborn him, although I think treating teething pain might help.  

Quoting Mama_Of_Two2012:

I can go in my room during the day, he wont nurse in the dark however I can go in a quiet room. Hes either teething or just likes to shower himself in spit LOL, he never gets solids until he has fully nursed

Quoting SadieJames:

SadieJames
by Sarah on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Etsy has some fancy ones if you like spending money.  : )

Quoting larissalarie:

Also, I've heard a "nursing" necklace can help keep their attention.

Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I wasn't at first however I have started only giving him solids AFTER a full feeding. He has only gotten a bottle 2x. Once because I wanted to have a couple drinks with some friends and the 2nd time because DH's company christmas party was NO kids allowed. I am a SAHM no need for bottles LOL. Today I tried to nurse him BUT he wanted nothing (we were in my room quiet and calm so I gave him his passy, right before he fell asleep i switched passy for nip and he ate!!!! Trick him is the idea LOL

Quoting gdiamante:

If you're giving solids ONLY after nursing and never unless he's nursed, you're following the corretc path and you merely offer. No other alternatives, either... that means no bottles unless you're not there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)