Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biting!! I need help....or to vent.....or both.

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter turned a year old on the 19th. She has always been a great nurser. I've often joked that she would nurse until she was a teen if I let her. She does eat solids but has always preferred breast milk. She was sick about a week ago (Nursed constantly) got better for a day and then got sick again. Today she was finally better but has been biting all day. A LOT!! I am engorged and so sore because she hasn't really nursed. Honestly I am so stressed with everything and this isn't helping. I am feeling so angry with her and as dumb as it is my feelings are getting hurt. I know that's not logical but feelings aren't always logical. 

So what do I do? Just so you have an idea she looks up at me and bites. It's like she thinks it's funny and I'm sure she does but saying "NO" either makes her laugh or she cries but then bites again anyway. I even (Not proud AT ALL) flicked her cheek today (Not enough to hurt but it scared her). 

Help me!!! I am so frustrated and losing my cool.

Alisha- Married to Terry , mom to Blake , 02-99, and our little miracle girl Rylee, 01-12, who was conceived after 9 1/2 years TTC. She has healed my broken heart. I am a breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering (still figuring this one out), co-sleeping kinda Mommy. I am opinionated and some times come acoss judgemental (which honestly I can be but I'm working on this) but I'm really just stating my opinion and love to hear others as well. 

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Put the boob away sit her down. Put her on a booby time out!

eckielady
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 10:58 PM

I've tried that too!! It doesn't work.

Quoting aimhawk:

Alisha- Married to Terry , mom to Blake , 02-99, and our little miracle girl Rylee, 01-12, who was conceived after 9 1/2 years TTC. She has healed my broken heart. I am a breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering (still figuring this one out), co-sleeping kinda Mommy. I am opinionated and some times come acoss judgemental (which honestly I can be but I'm working on this) but I'm really just stating my opinion and love to hear others as well. 

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:00 PM

How long do you make her wait? Honestly what worked for me when he was smaller was putting my thumb on 1 cheek and index finger on the other to unlatch him and say OW! loudly. It only took a few times before he quit.

Quoting eckielady:

Quoting aimhawk:

eckielady
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:02 PM

She doesn't latch down. It's like she flea bites almost. She knows exactly what she's doing and saying OW makes her laugh. It just doesn't work. She will pull off when I say something but she'll do it again whenever I try nursing her again whether it's 30 seconds later or 15 minutes. 

Quoting aimhawk:

How long do you make her wait? Honestly what worked for me when he was smaller was putting my thumb on 1 cheek and index finger on the other to unlatch him and say OW! loudly. It only took a few times before he quit.

Quoting eckielady:

Quoting aimhawk:

aimhawk
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:04 PM

I don't know, momma! Hopefully she quits doing it! I am sure though that some of these other mommas have some better advice than mine. :)

Quoting eckielady:

She doesn't latch down. It's like she flea bites almost. She knows exactly what she's doing and saying OW makes her laugh. It just doesn't work. She will pull off when I say something but she'll do it again whenever I try nursing her again whether it's 30 seconds later or 15 minutes. 

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:08 PM

If your too full she may be biteing because either she cant get a good latch, or your drowning her. if your squirting in her mouth she may be getting mad, try to hand express alittle.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Are you pointedly ignoring her when you put her down? If she doesn't know that she's doing something wriong, she won't stop. Make the consequence as negative as you're able.

eckielady
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I'm only full now because she's been doing this all day. That's not why it started. 

Quoting PolishMamma2:

If your too full she may be biteing because either she cant get a good latch, or your drowning her. if your squirting in her mouth she may be getting mad, try to hand express alittle.

eckielady
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Yes, I ignore her. 

She has gone through these phases before but they last a day or so. NEVER this bad. I don't know if she's just being snotty because she's been sick for awhile or what. I just know it's different this time. She fell asleep twice today laying next to me but not nursing. She's never fallen asleep without nursing unless we're in the car so I don't know what that's about either. 

I am just terrified that she's going to end up weaning herself and I'm not ready and honestly I don't think she is. She is a natural nurser but I can't figure out what's going on today. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Are you pointedly ignoring her when you put her down? If she doesn't know that she's doing something wriong, she won't stop. Make the consequence as negative as you're able.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I'm in the same boat. He has days like this too where he barely gets any milk and I get so engorged by evening. I usually pump during those times. If he bites, he doesn't get any milk for at least ten minutes. It may not seem like very long, but he's only eleven months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)