Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfed baby not taking bottle

Posted by   + Show Post

Not from me, not from SO, not from sister

Not from different nipples, breastmilk is warm, breastmilk is cold

Tried infant dropper didn't take to that either

ANY other ideas?

I just wanted a glass of wine tonight, and she's drank from a bottle before. Looks like she's missing a feeding. So frustrating. I'm fine to feed her now, but what if I wasn't? Grr.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Replies (11-18):
Mama_Of_Two2012
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:42 AM

My DS will take a bottle from me and even if I am home. However he is VERY picky, has to be warm milk, and the bottle nipple has to be warm up. You might be on to something with the smell tho, I haven't seen a bottle nipple you can't run under hot water, was it brand new that might be were the smell was coming from. I have always washed bottles, nipples and binki's in the dishwasher and they seam fine.

Good Luck

becky1109
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:55 AM

its not uncommon for bf babies to not like bottles, and its ok to have a glass fo wine and still nurse! as long as your not falling down drunk and nursing, i think its "if your ok to drive ok to nurse... "

kiki2382
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I would recommend using glass bottles. You never know with plastic.

Quoting staciandababy:

I would not have driven after one glass of wine, I have not consumed alcohol in nearly a year- the tolerance is NOT there. We are still breastfeeding on demand and in less than 2 hour periods at all times. And I would like to be able to have a babysitter at some point- something I never did with my first. But with TWO kids- mama would LOVE a break at some point.

The bottle may have been the problem. Does anyone know if #10 plastic is safe to run under hot water? It did smell a bit plastic-y to me when I opened it and sniffed.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mama-Doe
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

How old is your little one? My middle child always refused the bottle so for 14 months I fed her everytime she was hungry!  With my baby now I started having my husband or mom give her a bottle at 4 weeks, once a week for about 2 months.  Now, she takes is occationally no problem.  Good luck!

Mdmooch
by Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM

My oldest hated bottles so we tried a sippy cup and he finally took that.  It was a sippy that had a fat sippy on it with a straw inside.  That is the only thing that worked for him.  My baby is not too fond of the bottle either and most of the times will not eat until I get home.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this

For a sitter.. just leave the milk and GO.  Baby will either drink it, or she'll wait for you.   You don't need to ensure she'll drink it before going out.. caregiver will figure it out.   I've had two bottle refusing babies and we never had any major problems.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:41 PM

i have the same problem. ive been using a small medicine cup with a bit of success..gunna try a sippy too

celticgodess
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:34 PM

A good friend of mine had an issue with her then 4 month old son.  He had been taking one fine and then just decided to quit.  She tried everything too, but nothing worked.  Just a phase though.  Keep trying and good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)